Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

stumped in Tampa

My system uses a Trane XE1000. It is 15 years old, so I know it is nearing the end of its service life. If I can get through one or two more seasons, I'll be happy.

Last summer my pump was staying on. I was careful to shut it down right away, and traced the fault to a bad contactor. Other than that issue, A/C was fine. This was in November, about the time when A/C is no longer needed down here.

Yesterday, I went to go turn on the A/C for the first time this season. My pump came on as normal, but I am getting lukewarm air from the vents. In fact, I almost think the air is a bit warmer when the compressor is on! I thought I maybe had a stuck reversing valve, so I checked the high and low side pipes out at the compressor. Thin pipe is warm, large pipe is cold, just as it should be.

The only thing I haven't done yet is hook a set of gauges up to see if I have enough R22 in the system. Before I do that, can anyone else think of something I need to check before I either call someone out to the house or invest in a set of gauges?

Thanks, new to the forum and this is my first post.

KyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

stumped in Tampa

Do the simple things first before buying anything. Flush the outside coils with water. Change the filter and check the evap coil to make sure it's clean. Check the temp drop between supply air and return air with a thermometer.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #3

stumped in Tampa

Evaporator looks really dirty on the inlet side especially. What's the best way to clean it? Simple green? I'm hoping this might be my problem, doesn't look like I'm getting much airflow across the evaporator
Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

stumped in Tampa

A soft bristled hair brush usually does a good job. Go up and down with the fins so not to bend them. If that fails use simple green or foaming coil cleaner next.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #5

stumped in Tampa

Hey Marty, thanks for the tips.

I just finished cleaning the evaporator, man was it filthy. I bought this house a little less than 3 years ago, I think I'm the first one to ever have cleaned it out.

Still having trouble though, and I think I might have to concede defeat. I'm completely at a loss as to why I'm getting warm air from the vents. Compressor is on (right now in fact), high side is nice and hot, low side pipe is very, very cold. I even checked the low side going into the evaporator up in the attic, it is nice and cold too. Filter is new, evaporator is now very clean. I am watching condensation drain off of the evaporator, so I know it's doing it's job. From what I can tell, everything is doing what it is supposed to be doing, yet I'm getting warm air from the vents.

I think I'm going to call the pros tomorrow, but I'd love to hear if anyone has an idea of something I might be overlooking. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,756

stumped in Tampa

A strip heater is on.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #7

stumped in Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
A strip heater is on.
wow, never even thought of that. i guess id have to open up the air handler and figure out why it's on.

I should also mention I've been using a Hunter 44155c thermostat. I'm wondering if that is my problem too. I just noticed that when I turn the tstat to the 'off' position after running the a/c for a while (trying to get cold air), the pump shuts down and i get just the indoor fan running. The air coming out of the vents suddenly gets REALLY cold, lending credence to the theory that the tstat is firing up the strip heater too. Could this be happening? Should I try a better tstat?

Last edited by KyleB; 04-01-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

stumped in Tampa

Yes, its very possible.

Yes, a good Honeywell thermostat.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #9

stumped in Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Yes, its very possible.

Yes, a good Honeywell thermostat.
Thanks, I'll try a new tstat this weekend. I live in Florida, so I guess that strip heaters are what we use for heat down here since it isn't needed that often.

Should have bought a Honeywell to begin with..
Old 04-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #10

stumped in Tampa

Forgot to ask one thing. I'm heading out tomorrow AM for a better quality tstat. If that doesn't solve my problem, is there any harm in disconnecting the heat strip at the air handler for the summer??? Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

stumped in Tampa

No harm disconnecting for the summer.

As a test though. Just disconnect the heat wire at the stat(heat wires should be connected to W1 and or W2), and see if the heat comes on in cooling mode.

If it does, then its not the stat.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

stumped in Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleB View Post
I'm heading out tomorrow AM for a better quality tstat.
Not sure where you're going on a Saturday but if you want one of the better Honeywells (eg the better 8000 series or 9000 series), I think you'll need to go mail order or to a pro electrical outlet (and they aren't usually open on Saturday). I'm not sure you'll get anything better than your existing Hunter at the local Home Depot.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #13

stumped in Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
Not sure where you're going on a Saturday but if you want one of the better Honeywells (eg the better 8000 series or 9000 series), I think you'll need to go mail order or to a pro electrical outlet (and they aren't usually open on Saturday). I'm not sure you'll get anything better than your existing Hunter at the local Home Depot.
Yea, I thought I'd at least go down there and see what they have. It's five minutes from the house, and Lowe's is on the next street over.

Here's the one I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH83...0254816&sr=8-4
Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #14

stumped in Tampa

FIXED. Thanks for all of the help guys, greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

stumped in Tampa

And the fix was?