Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #1

Share |

Stuffy room

Well started to have this problemn as it started to get hotter out (only had this house for a few months now living in it)... 90% of the house is fine air wise... but one room is very stuffy even at night... its just hard to breath in... I turned on the AC and it improved somewhat... is there anything I can do about this? not sure if this is a HVAC or building question really the air flow in the room seems to be a lot lower then in the other parts of the house... I dont have an Anemometer to measure CFM... (speaking of which, anywhere to get a good cheap one for home use?) but that might be the problem? the room is 15x20 and has two registers (18" ones with the 12"x3" floor opening) and two return vents (about 8x14")

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Stuffy room

Heres one

Could be just lack of air flow to the room. That can cause it to not only be warmer. But to also have a higher humidity.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #3

Stuffy room

what about a ceiling fan? I absolutely loathe being in rooms without them because the air doesn't move, regardless of what the temperature actually is.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Stuffy room

I have a nice small Testo for occasional use and a Pro model for bigger jobs. The small one is not too expensive.
Copy and Paste:
http://www.testo.com/online/abaxx-?$part=PORTAL.USA.SimpleContentDesk&$event=show-from-menu&categoryid=49805283

Last edited by yuri; 05-03-2010 at 02:01 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #5

Stuffy room

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
what about a ceiling fan? I absolutely loathe being in rooms without them because the air doesn't move, regardless of what the temperature actually is.
Already have ceiling fans... doesnt seem to help much, the room just seems to get too humid
Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #6

Stuffy room

Describe the house arragement better. Is there a fireplace with an open damper? Is it a two story, single hvac, lots of glass, cathedral ceiling? Do the vents move air similar to the cooler rooms? Listen to the returns - air moving? Use a strip of cleanex like a flag to compare air flow from vents in diff. areas. Is there a single thermostat or two? Are there lots of high wattage lighting or electronics. Maybe hot flashes from change of life? Just kidding.
grifzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #7

Stuffy room

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifzila View Post
Describe the house arragement better. Is there a fireplace with an open damper? Is it a two story, single hvac, lots of glass, cathedral ceiling? Do the vents move air similar to the cooler rooms? Listen to the returns - air moving? Use a strip of cleanex like a flag to compare air flow from vents in diff. areas. Is there a single thermostat or two? Are there lots of high wattage lighting or electronics. Maybe hot flashes from change of life? Just kidding.
It's a one and a half story house (70% of second story is finished and has rooms in it), finished and heated basement...

There is a single HVAC system, currently only one zone (hope to take it to three in the future...) 3 big sliding glass doors on the 1st floor... at least one window in each room... entry way (about 250 sq ft) is catherdral ceiling...

I tried the Kleenex on the return vent thing and on every one it seems to be sucking down air relatively well, it will hold it on there and continue to hold when pulling it away gently... it sucks to the vent about two inches away from it when moving towards it with it...

Can't tell airflor well because I dont have an anamometer... but it seems like the closer you are to the furance the more air flow there is...

over winter I tried to seal up the plenum as much as I could... it had a LOT of leaks in it, and was never sealed with tape or mastic...

there is only one thermostat, and that is in the center of the house on the first floor in the vaulted area...

no high wattage lights, replaced everything with CFL bulbs and LED over the winter also......