DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Strip heaters coming on

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Plumber101 
#1 ·
I have a Trane heat pump about 5 yrs old so I can tell there is something different about the way it is operating. This winter for the first time my heat turns off before it reaches the thermostat setting and it freezes me blowing cold air. When I turn up the heat in the mornings about 5 degrees it always smells like the strip heaters are coming on. I have a $400 electric bill and we have had a mild winter, so far. I had someone come out to service it but he said everything is ok and it doesn't need freon, etc.

#8 ·
MOst service companies carry freon with them.

I would have the service company check the thermostat to make sure it is set up properly.

Ask the service company what the sub-cooling is? Without seeing the unit it will be close to 10

Ask if the defrost board and the defrost sensor could be tested.

The defrost board responds from a sensor in the condenser, when the sensor reaches 28 deg it will send the condenser into defrost mode. I have seen bad boards and sensors causing an intermitant problem.

Reactions: cozmoss
#2 ·
Your thermostat sounds as though it may be acting up

You have a heat pump and that is your 1st stage heat then the electric strip will be your 2nd stage heat.

Typically when a thermostat is set up there will be a 2 degree difference for the first stage to come on and either 3 or 4 degree difference for the 2nd stage heat to come on.

Lets say the the thermostat is set at 70 deg. When the temp drops to 68 the heat pump comes on and lets say that the temp drops to 67 deg then the 2nd stage turns on.

You made the comment that you raise the temp 5 degrees I would thing that you are making the heat strip come yourself.

But you could have your heatpump going into defrost mode and the furnace blowing cold air more thus cooling the house and lowering the temp low enough to turn on the 2nd stage heat

How cold was it there when the service tech checked the freon level?

#4 ·
That's not warm enough outside to get an accurate reading. Not a load on the system when checking by A/C mode

I always advise customers with heat pums to have the system serviced late in the summer. The ONLY way to determine the freon level or system charge is correct is to remove all the freon out and weigh it back in when temps are below 65 deg.

#9 ·
Just putting in refrigerant will not solve anything if it is not needed. The tech can tell if it is low, it just depends on his skill level. It may be a txv problem or something else. With $400 a month electric bills, you know something has changed! If it is the way you are setting your thermostat that is different then yes, that would cause it. A 5 degree differential WILL bring on the strip heaters.

#13 ·
I'm saying when a heat pump goes into defrost the blower shuts down to not blow cold air into the dwelling.

No, I'm not saying anything other than that.[/quote]

All of the Heat pumps that I have services don't do that. Some will blow cold and some will turn on the 2nd stage heat so that the HO doesn't even know that the condenser has gone into defrost.

Without the inside blower can you tell me how the heat exchange works?

You absoutly need the insode blower running in defrost mode.

#16 ·
with the electric heat strips on to continually blow warm air, but it will not blow cool air.

Yes that is true as I stated before but if the 2nd stage heat doesn't come on or if there is no 2nd stage heat it will blow cold air

Reactions: hvactech126
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.