Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stratification and furnace blower

I have a new home equipped with 2 Weather King Furnaces, one for each level. The second level of the home is a loft type and open to the lower level via a 8x7 foot opening.

My question is given the effect of stratification, warm air rising while cool air sinks, would it be more efficient to have the unit blowers run continuously on one or both of the units in order to keep a uniform temperature throughout? It seems the lower floor unit runs much more then the loft area and I attributed this to the fact the heated air from the ground floor is infiltrating the lost area and minimizing the need for the upstairs unit to fire up. Am considering closing the opening to the Loft area but that is expensive and would like to explore other ideas first. I seem unable to find the power usage of the fan motors so don't know what if any would be the bottom line savings.

All rooms in the home have ceiling fans but it seems running one blower fan would be less expensive then running 4 or 5 ceiling fan motors.

Thanks for any advice you can afford me.

Last edited by joev11; 11-29-2008 at 05:47 AM.
joev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,362

There should be an electrical rating for the furnace on the model # info inside the unit. In general those motors draw at least 3 amps unless they are the high tech ECM variable speed type. Watts = volts x amps. 120 volts x 3 amps =360 watts. Approx 1/2 a kilowatt. I pay 8 cents/kwhour so it would cost about 4 cents/hour x 24 hours/day = $1/day to run the average PSC standard motor. An ECM motor uses about 80 watts. If it makes the house more comfortable it may be worth it. But it will wear out the motor sooner and the electricity ain't free.

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
There should be an electrical rating for the furnace on the model # info inside the unit. In general those motors draw at least 3 amps unless they are the high tech ECM variable speed type. Watts = volts x amps. 120 volts x 3 amps =360 watts. Approx 1/2 a kilowatt. I pay 8 cents/kwhour so it would cost about 4 cents/hour x 24 hours/day = $1/day to run the average PSC standard motor. An ECM motor uses about 80 watts. If it makes the house more comfortable it may be worth it. But it will wear out the motor sooner and the electricity ain't free.
I figured about 4-5 amps to be safe (to lazy to crawl into the attic and check it, it's cold here). and I pay about 10 cents KWH. It doesn't seem it will pay and makes more sense to enclose the opening in the loft.

Appreciate the input, thanks
joev11 is offline   Reply With Quote