Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #1

Share |

Stops blowing cold air after several hours

My home ac seems to be having some trouble. It will only run, and blow cold air from anywhere between 1-7 or so hours before it stops, it wont get the temp in the house below 80, but thats better than 90. This was not an issue last summer, and it has been happening ever since I started using ac the last few weeks. the compressor and fan continue to blow outside of the house when the cold air stops blowing in the house, but when the air stops pumping in the house, the I noticed that the fan outside is no longer blowing hot air, it is now blowing mild/cool air.

the weird thing is if I shut off the ac at the thermostat and let it sit for a half day, I can turn the ac back on and it will kick back on for another 1 -7ish hours....

any thoughts on this?

awathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Willing to listen

Possibly low on refrigerant....runs for a while and eventually trips out the compressor on it's thermal protector, or low pressure switch if it has one. Especially if this tends to happen later in the day as temps rise or sun is shining on the unit. Are you sure the compressor is still running when this happens.

I suspect you need to bite the bullet and let a tech check the system for you. Good luck.

Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Done That For This Useful Post:
awathen (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

sorry for a dumb question.. is refrigerant the same as freon (sp?)? it does seem that if it is hot out it will not kick back on, usually in the evenings is when it will start back up. I had it checked out last year and the tech refilled the freon.. but if freon and refrigerant are different then, based on what I have read in other forums that seems like low refrigerant could be the issue.

If freon and refrigerant are infact the same thing, then is it possible that I have a leak?

Im a new homeowner and still new to learning about these things, so sorry if my comments seem like common sense!

Thanks so much!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Willing to listen

yes...freon/refrigerant are the same. If you have had it re-filled last year and it is already low again then you have a leak that needs to be located and repaired....which can be done. Many service companies will try to sell you on new equipment, which may or may not be a good idea based on overall age etc of your existing system. Ask questions, and get a second opinion if necessary.
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Done That For This Useful Post:
awathen (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #5

Thanks so much for the response, sounds like I will have to get someone out to take a look at it. I appreciate it!