Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #1

Share |

Steaming in AZ

Ok so the short and skinny of it is that our A/C (Goodman GSC13 Air Conditioner) is not living up to its expectations, like keeping the house cool. Although we do live in Arizona where 100 degrees is considered normal I would at least expect my A/C unit to keep it at least 80 degrees in the house but this seems to be a miracle for it. My A/C runs constantly throughout the day, which I'm sure my electric company loves!

Just a few stats... taken at almost 10pm
Indoor filters are clean, replaced every month
Outdoor unit is clear of debris and is clean
Large line is moderately cool, I say moderately because I can leave my hand on it for a while without frostburn
Small line is barely warm
Outside temp is 88
Inside temp is 86
Thermostat is set @77

A/C guys have been out prior and have refilled freon blaming it on a leaking unit and saying they have fixed it. I highly doubt this since this seems to happen every year.

Checked the air flow out of the internal vents with hand, I don't have an air flow meter, and it seems to be very minimal although I have no idea what kind of pressure I'm supposed to expect as I've never checked it under ideal circumstances.

I'm open to any ideas that anyone may have and I'm not opposed to crawling through the attic either and I'm quite handy with a hammer, screwdriver, explosives, etc. I'm getting pissed at having to deal with this all the time and having my electric bill go thru the roof.

Some more information that I had just found that might help from readings I took in 2010... Not saying that this will help solve to problem but more info the better right.

22 Sep 10
Outside temp: 79 degrees
Avg temp @ vent: 72 - 73 degrees
Outside - little pipe: 83 degrees
Outside - big pipe: 81 degrees

Last edited by JackOfSomeTrade; 06-06-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: New info found
JackOfSomeTrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Steaming in AZ

has the refrigerant level been checked this year? How does the unit seem to run after it has been charged every year? Is the indoor coil freezing up?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #3

Steaming in AZ

the freon charge is your tonnage as it leaks out you start losing the indoor temp wih a happy electric company billing you.you need to have the charge pulled and a nitro/vacuum test performed.they pump the system up to 300 PSI and go over ever fitting and brazed joint coils compressor terminals...then after fixing it they repull the vacuum down to 250 MICRONs hold it for and hour and recharge the system.it is just the time that is expensive temperature splits on a fully charged operation system...18F drop thru the air handler...10F rise on the air thru the condenser.with a full charge that LL thin copper line out of the condenser should be warm on an 80F day,and hot on a 90F and above day with a clean condenser.your right on about that insulated suction should be ice cold.the attic is super hot? is that return duct tight not pulling in attic heat...and those supplies are tight down into the spaces....air out of the register is strong and solid.....if not check the rounds on that squirrel cage...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #4

Steaming in AZ

why in the world do companies just top it off like that when they know there is a leak? i had the same thing happen to me over a couple of years (slow evap coil leak) and i ended up diagnosing and replacing the damn coil myself and it has been running like a top ever since.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #5

Steaming in AZ

home owners accept the idea of just topping off and i'll be cool till september....then when the compressor takes a crap cause as the freon has leaks so goes the droplets of oil.... and they come in a sell a new condensers...simplest thing a homeower could do is a visual and touchy feely for oil residue on the insulation or around pipes....a good vac check from a bguy who cares will narrow down the problem and save the wallet....but everybody needs it asap... $$$$
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

Steaming in AZ

Wife called the landlord today and they are sending a HVAC guy out this weekend. Hopefully they will fix it right this time.

Also took some readings on the lines and the big one is at 93 and the little one is at 98 with the outdoor temperature being 100. Yes, the attic is super hot but don't believe that the attic air is leaking in but will have to check that. Got to wait for it to cool down a bit so I don't die up there. I also checked the temps at the vents and they are around 78 and the thermostat is set @ 76. Also not much pressure coming from all the vents. As far as the squirrel cage goes, what would I be looking for? It's been almost a year since I ripped into the unit in the attic and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, although I'm no expert in this area but could only tell that nothing stood out and looked broken.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

Steaming in AZ

ok, so you dont own the place, quit messing with it and make the owner deal with it.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #8

Steaming in AZ

That's good advice, although I wish they'd be a little more responsive and do things right the first time.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #9

Steaming in AZ

if the filter was changes every say 3 months then the coil and squirrel cage within the air handler will be clean....QUESTION has the air out of the registers gotten weaker over the year.if the filter was apacked with dirt dust then the fan squirrel cage rounds catch the dirt and round off....and air gets weaker onto the supply trunk.pop the panel so you see the fan and coil up in the attic if the motor is covered in dust coil might be matted and need cleaning...then we move onto the freon side and outside...see this YOUTUBE thats a squirrel cage if those fins get rounded off with dirt they don't throw the air into the supply....

Last edited by biggles; 06-07-2012 at 08:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
JackOfSomeTrade (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #10

Steaming in AZ

Checked the squirrel cage and it wasn't all that dirty although I pulled it and cleaned it anyway. Thought it might make a difference in the pressure at the vents but as it turns out it didn't make that big of a difference at all. Have never tested at the vent under prime conditions so I don't know what its supposed to feel like, although I'm thinking it should be stronger that a light breath. It might just be the low freon level but just suck that we have to go through this every year it seems.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #11

Steaming in AZ

if the ducts are tight on the discharge side into the house the air should feel like med/hi setting on your cars fan out of the vents....for an example..if the air is in question fixing the charge is a waste of time need to move the air across that air handler as many times as you can in a cycle.if you have a main return grill does it hold up a sheet of newpaper without sliding down?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #12

Steaming in AZ

Well I'd have to check the ducts to see if their tight but I can say that at the vents it feels more like low than a med/high setting in the vehicle. It won;t even make tissue paper flutter in the breeze. I'd assume when you talk about the return grills you're talking about our vents in the ceiling that have no filters on them and don't blow air. These we have two, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. I've checked the bedroom one and it won't even hold up a piece of tissue paper. I'm assuming the living room one would be the same but need to get the ladder out to get to it. For what its worth there seems to be adequate suction on the intake end of the air handler as it'll hold up the tissue paper as well as the newspaper. Is there a possibility that something could be clogging up the return line or even supply lines? I've got the AC guy coming tomorrow so I'd like to direct him that way if I could, although he'll probably want to service the freon as well. Just as well as I'm not paying for it but I'd like to solve what I am paying for and thats the electricity to keep the thing up and running. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #13

Steaming in AZ

have him verify that you have HI FAN speed at the air handler and why the supply registers are so weak heating is Lo/Med and cooling is always HI.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #14

Steaming in AZ

That was going to be my next question on the fan speeds, it might be missing high gear. Also on the so called return grills, they weren't return grills at all. Think they actually are for equalizing the pressures in between the two rooms as they are attached and go no where else.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #15

Steaming in AZ

ther is no gear it is a speed wire color coming out of the motor should be HI when you put the FAN in the ON position at the stat...wonder where your returns are then..might be pulling the walls and its heat

Tags
cooling