Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stay With Steam Heat Or Switch Hot Water

Hi,i Have An Old House With Steam Heat.the Early 1900's Coal Fired Boiler That Was Converted To Gas Needs Replacing.should I Switch To A Furnace With Baseboard Heat Or Just Get A Modern Boiler And Keep The Old Radiators?the Sytem Was Working Fine But The Return Pipe Rusted Out Going Into The Furnace And Was Going To Cost Almost $500.00 To Repair.also I Would Like To Get Away From The Yearly Maintaince Required For Steam Heat.any Advise To What Brand Furnace Is A Good One Is Appriciatedthanks,ed

SCOOTER17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Stay With Steam Heat Or Switch Hot Water

I like steam, you don't see it much anymore though. If you switch to hot water you can keep the radiators if you want. You will need to install bleeders on the radiators if you keep them. You might be able to keep the old pipes depending on how the system is setup if your house is small and they're in decent shape. If you want to re-pipe you will have to install new spuds in the radiators as well.
A lot of plumbers will tell you to ditch the cast iron radiators because they don't have the knowledge/patience to work with them. I really do prefer them to baseboard though. Don't let the age of the radiators fool you. It's very rare to see one of the radiators fail even after a hundred years in service.

Last edited by Marlin; 07-28-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote