Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Starting on Second System

Hello,

Continuing with the restoration of my foreclosure house. As you may remember, most of the HVAC system had been removed. Specifically, the downstairs furnace and evaporator and condenser, and also the upstairs condenser ( they left the upstairs furnace, it was too hard to get it out of the attic ).

I restored the upstairs system with a new Goodman condenser. Got the AC working just in time for the heating season . Well, we did get a couple weeks of indian summer, and it was nice to be able to give the upstairs a quick shot of AC in the evening so we could go to sleep.

Now starting on the downstairs furnace. I have a Goodman GMH80403AX. First question:

The furnace came with a piece of sheet metal casually screwed into the bottom. By "casually" I mean one screw on each side. Is this just packing, or is it meant to be used as a bottom cover for the installed system? It does seem reasonable to use it as a bottom cover, maybe with some more screws. And seal it with mastic from the outside. Comments?

Here's a couple pix of the existing return plenum. It was mangled pretty bad by the foreclose-ees. I straightened it out the best I could with an auto body hammer and dolly. Re-use? It could no doubt be taped and mastic'd into submission and would work fine. OTOH, it sure isn't the level of workmanship I would like - even when it was new.

The supply ductwork is covered with unfaced fiberglass insulation. Now, I spend a lot of time in my garage, and I would prefer NOT to spend it in the company of unfaced glass wool. I know that faced batts can be gotten at the HVAC store, but what about the existing insulation? Can something be wrapped around it? I'm thinking heavy duty aluminum foil, taped with UL-181 foil tape. Comments?

- JerryK
Attached Thumbnails
Starting on Second System-dscn3464.jpg   Starting on Second System-dscn3465-small.jpg  

jerryk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote