Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Splitting a 6" duct

I'm finishing a bedroom in my basement. Directly above is the kitchen, which has a duct run to it and a small vent built into the cabinets. I need a register boot for the new bedroom window, which is pretty close to the existing 6" duct pipe. Unfortunately the basement ceiling is quite low, and they already ran the 6" duct right through the floor joists, which seems like not a great idea given the heavy kitchen right above. I would like to avoid cutting more huge holes into the joists for another run, and given the low ceiling height I'd like to avoid adding more soffits as well. So, I was wondering if I could put a 6" T piece in and split that supply duct to add my register boot for the new bedroom.

Also, how many supplies should I add for my basement? My basement has 5 windows, so I thought 1 for each window, plus one for the half bath (which has no window), plus one return close to the stairs. It's about 900 sq ft I'm adding. I'm in Utah, if that matters, so we heat in the winter and cool in the summer.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

TomU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Splitting a 6" duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomU View Post
...they already ran the 6" duct right through the floor joists
...I would like to avoid cutting more huge holes into the joists
...I'd like to avoid adding more soffits as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OagFI...eature=related

Quote:
Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
1) fix the joist with the duct running through it
1a) remove that piece of duct
2) go back and do that right
2a) include provision for the new work

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

Splitting a 6" duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
1) fix the joist with the duct running through it
1a) remove that piece of duct
2) go back and do that right
2a) include provision for the new work
Why should I remove the existing duct? The only way to fix the existing joists would be to probably add new ones, which doesn't appear to be an easy undertaking given the room is already framed. It is a brand new home I would assume it's up to code, even though I don't really like the idea of ducts going through the joists. But it's already done.

I was merely wondering if I can split an existing 6" duct, or if I should avoid that at all cost and somehow run a dedicated 6" duct and add a soffit.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Splitting a 6" duct

Easy or do it right? Floor joist should never ever be cut to run duct work!
Not a big deal or a hard job to go back and redo this the way it should have been done in the first place.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Part of the Clover Leaf

Splitting a 6" duct

What he said.

Cut a joist, collapse a house.

Don't laugh, it happens. When you consider most joist are 7' 1/2" and you are taking a a larger than six inch bite out of it ..well...it seems obvious to me that youe weaken the structure.

Didn't that occur to you?
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Splitting a 6" duct

The total height of these joists (made by i-level) are 12", and they span about 10'. I do know that it's not a good idea and they should have done it correctly in the first place, but unfortunately the damage has already been done. The floor appears to be stable otherwise, and I haven't observed any sagging whatsoever. Since it's a kitchen, there won't be more weight added (other than people walking in there). I just figure that yeah it's not ideal, but I don't want to go through the hassle of ripping the ducts out and somehow adding new joists. Given that room was already framed, I'd probably have to rip out the framing in order to be able to get any new joists in there.

I'm certainly not going to cut more holes into it, that's for sure. Which is why I wonder if it's ok to add a T connection to the 6" duct and split it to supply the bedroom underneath.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Part of the Clover Leaf

Splitting a 6" duct

that is small conciliation...tweleve inch will still weaken... and that you knew that but did it anyway shows poor judgment on your part.

I can't help you...maybe somebody can.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Splitting a 6" duct

OK, so I did some research. They used TJI-210 joists with 11 7/8" depth from ilevel, and their spec is here: http://www.woodbywy.com/literature/TJ-4500.pdf

If I understand the specifications regarding holes on page 11 correctly, the manufacturer allows round holes up to 8 7/8" in size for these joists. I'm not an expert at this, but it appears that - although not ideal - they stayed within specification.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Part of the Clover Leaf

Splitting a 6" duct

Tell that to your local building inspector and see if he agrees.

Mfg specs are overly optimistic...that's why it is against code to cut joists and run duct thru them.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
30 year tech

Splitting a 6" duct

Most TGI'S it is OK to cut a duct run through. Usually you need to stay a certain distance from the end. As long as they followed the manufactures instructions you should be fine.
As far as using a tee you will lose airflow designed for the kitchen so it is not a good idea. Run a separate supply and return.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Splitting a 6" duct

Its allowed by inspectors here, an done quite often.

Teeing into that 6" won't get you enough heat for that bedroom..
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #12

Splitting a 6" duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac122 View Post
Most TGI'S it is OK to cut a duct run through. Usually you need to stay a certain distance from the end. As long as they followed the manufactures instructions you should be fine.
Yeah, I checked the specifications against the document I linked in a previous post, and they followed these. Plus the hole is well below the maximum hole size that the manufacturer appears to allow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac122 View Post
As far as using a tee you will lose airflow designed for the kitchen so it is not a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I was afraid that that was going to be the answer to my question. I guess I'll have to figure out how to run it there and box it in.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Part of the Clover Leaf

Splitting a 6" duct

Quote:
Its allowed by inspectors here, an done quite often.

Beenthere you have some very lax code enforcement where u are.

Our local guy would be all over that. We have seen engineered lumber fail on three occasions and killed several people in a shopping mall. It was supposed to be able to take the load of a steel girder. Since than no engineered-lumber is allowed where traditionally a girder would be used.

I drilled out a joists to run pipe thru...in another community....they threatened me..said if I did it again I would have to pay a structural engineer to certify the integrity of the joist or pay for installation of a new one.

Local authorities do not have to accept a certain procedure or material if it is not conducive to the health and welfare/safety of the local community.

Our guys have chosen not to allow drilled joists or engineered lumber.

Some opinions on this thread differ from mine...but I am quoting what is not allowed in mine and several communities across the country.

Check your local building authority before cutting up a joist.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Splitting a 6" duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
Beenthere you have some very lax code enforcement where u are.

Our local guy would be all over that. We have seen engineered lumber fail on three occasions and killed several people in a shopping mall. It was supposed to be able to take the load of a steel girder. Since than no engineered-lumber is allowed where traditionally a girder would be used.

I drilled out a joists to run pipe thru...in another community....they threatened me..said if I did it again I would have to pay a structural engineer to certify the integrity of the joist or pay for installation of a new one.

Local authorities do not have to accept a certain procedure or material if it is not conducive to the health and welfare/safety of the local community.

Our guys have chosen not to allow drilled joists or engineered lumber.

Some opinions on this thread differ from mine...but I am quoting what is not allowed in mine and several communities across the country.

Check your local building authority before cutting up a joist.
Its common and allowed in most areas across the country. That I found out from other forum sites.

Its allowed in the OP's area, or it would have been shot down on rough inspection.

Strange thing about your engineered beam not being allowed. Wood is safer as a support then steel in a fire. It was proven by the navy over 70 years ago. So that failure, was probably incorrect engineering, not a fault of using the wood.

we have laxed code enforcement in many areas. And very strict in others.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
Part of the Clover Leaf

Splitting a 6" duct

Quote:
Its common and allowed in most areas across the country. That I found out from other forum sites.

Its allowed in the OP's area, or it would have been shot down on rough inspection.

Strange thing about your engineered beam not being allowed. Wood is safer as a support then steel in a fire. It was proven by the navy over 70 years ago. So that failure, was probably incorrect engineering, not a fault of using the wood.

we have laxed code enforcement in many areas. And very strict in others.
The city lost all faith in it after the mall accident....the mfg pleaded their case before a committee...somebody dropped the ball in quality control ...the material was disallowed from then on and is still banned. And drilling out a joist is still not allowed in several surrounding communities.

personally I' did not know whether it was a banned material in the OPs area or not.

I was responding with the zeal that me and the city feel for drilling joists.
That is why I told him some one else can help him.

I think it is a bad practice and should be banned nationally. .

Last edited by hvac5646; 03-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.