Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Split System Replace, Resell?

Hoping someone can give me some quick expert opinion...

Got a split system; a '96 Rheem Criterion II gas upflow 80% 100K BTU furnace and an '02 Goodman 2.5 ton compressor added that year. Usually do most stuff myself but HVAC isn't on the list. Suspected system was low on R-22 so I called a contractor w/a good local rep.

System was indeed low, down to ~1 LB. Guy found a leaking expansion valve at the furnace. Replaced but then found a leaking capillary w/extreme rust/corrosion in the evaporator coil. On top of that, discovered that the inducer motor housing was cracked. At this point, it's starting to make sense to replace the entire furnace.

Even w/a full charge, the AC struggled to keep up so it makes sense to me to bump the specs on the furnace/air handler if we're going down the replace road. Guy says you can't do that *and* keep the 2.5 ton Goodman outside...need to go to 3 tons to match the furnace.

So I want to check in w/you guys:

1. Does that plan make sense?
2. Does the $4K ballpark sound reasonable for all-Rheem R-22 80%/13-14 SEER replacement+install?
3. Given that R-22 equipment is no longer being manufactured, should I hang on to the old 2.5 ton Goodman unit and try to resell it? Does it have significant resale value to the contractor?

Thanks in advance for either making me feel better or giving me a heads up on any red flags.

golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 70

Do your own load calc. http://hvaccomputer.com/talkref.asp
And find out what capacity you really need.

Could be your duct system is not allowing enough air flow, so your A/C can't cool your house right.

By struggled to keep up. Do you mean on the hottest days it ran 24/7? If so. That is how it should work.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

I went through the load calc w/the orig installer in 2002 - it was right on the fence as to whether the outside unit was 2.5 or 3 tons. Brand new, on a 100 degree day it'd keep things at 80 if lucky and run all day. Now it runs all day and doesn't do bupkiss, but that's b/c of the furnace leaks. I don't want it cycling on/off every 5 mins, but it seems like it should turn off every so often if it's sized right?

And duly noted about the ducts...the contractor that built the house was throwing more elbows than a bunch of engaged girls at a wedding dress sale.

Last edited by golddog; 06-25-2010 at 09:53 AM.
golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 70

Running 24/7 to maintain 80 when its 100 outside isn't a bad thing(unless you want it to be 76 inside).

Fixing the duct work would probably make it work/cool better(referring to size only). A larger sized unit may not do much better, and use more electric with your current duct system.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote