Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

split level house all A/C going downstairs

Hello,

I'm new to the site but have been lurking for a while...wondering if anyone else here has the same house design, its a difficult house to keep everything a consistent temp...we had a new Carrier ultra 95 put in last fall it handles both heat and AC...attic was recently insulated (spray foam gaps and about 14 inches of cellulose) wondering if i should put a door going downstairs (main level going down to ground level) the only thing is it will kill the open design, but i'm running out of ideas

thanks,
Brent

BKphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

How is the throw from your supply registers. Does the air hit the ceiling?

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #3

they aren't in the floor...the are at the bottom of the walls, about 6 inches from the floor.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

Go to Lowes or HD and buy those plastic deflectors to put on the registers that throws the air up.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
BKphoto (05-03-2010)
Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I have a similar house design and I found that running the blower fan continuously helps to even out the temperatures throughout the house. I also closed a couple of the lower air vents to force more air out of the upstairs registers. To run the blower continuously just turn the fan to "on" on the thermostat.
kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

BT makes a good point.

I have a few of those clear plastic deflectors on my vents. In the winter I put them downstairs to deflect air out into the room vs up, since the hot air wants to rise naturally. In the summer, I move them upstairs to push the air across the ceiling vs down at the floor since cold air wants to fall.

I also had an additional air return added to the upstairs ceiling. If helps remove the hot air sitting on the ceiling.

As noted by kb3ca, I also run the air handler fan to circulate air. It's a vairable speed AH, so the fan runs at a very low speed.
Earnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #7

just got the deflectors today, definitely feel a difference...thanks, this house design is definitely a challenge...the system layout is set up more for heat than AC...

Brent
Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Yes, two story/split level are a challenge to cool or heat.

I owned a two story house that had a real design/installation problem. Each floor had it's own heat pump system. The downstairs thermostat was at the bottom of the stairs and the upstairs thermostat was at the top of the stairs.

In the Summer, the cool air from the upstairs system would naturally fall down the stairway and prevent the downstairs system from turning On.

In Winter it was the opposite. Warm air from the downstairs system would naturally rise up the stairway and keep the upstairs unit from turning On.

I sold the house before the problem was corrected so I have no idea if it was ever fixed.

One more reason for all these Do-It-Yourself forums.
Earnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #9

yeah, i can see this forum helping a lot....i'm trying everything before i resort to putting a door in...the deflectors have helped a lot, i'm surprised...25 bucks, not a bad investment