Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Share |

Sources on large squirrel cage blower

Good day gentlemen and any ladies.

I am modifying my HAVC system to include a return air system to draw air from directly over the wood stove (current there is no return, just a open side panel on the furnace similar to mobile home furnaces, actually I think it is a mobile home furnace... bottom output) . This LP furnace is noisy (as all the mobile home type seem to be... but that's what they installed in this 1100 ft2 105 year old home). I contacted a local HVAC guy and he simply wants to let the blower on this furnace circulate the wood heat, but I am NOT interested in listing to that high speed small direct drive squirrel cage.... not an acceptable solution to me. Tthe AC runs all summer and it does get old listening to it. The fact that we will be adding about 25 l.f. of return air ducting... it will be a little quieter... but the furnace is still on the main floor.

I want to incorporate a second large diameter belt driven squirrel cage into the return air ducting on its own thermostat sensing the wood stove. I want it QUIET! If the wood stove runs low... and the main LP furnace has to kick in, I simply want it to draw through the big squirrel cage (now off since the wood stove is cold) and operate as a normal furnace.

My HVAC guy seems to be having trouble locating a large diameter squirrel cage that is belt driven to incorporate.... some one has to make these.

It need not be at the same CFM that the furnace's firebox needs... as its only circulating the wood stove heat around the house.... but the biggest driver is to be quiet... thus big and slow. It will be in the eave and not directly in the downstairs... but I really do not want to hear much of anything... one of the nice things on wood heat is its quiet... but I do need to circulate it.

Any ideas? Yes one has to think outside the box.

Thanks... Dave

dem455133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... I just threw away a bunch of them,....
They were used in old hot air furnaces...
Newer furnaces use the direct drive blowers...

unless you can find somebody replacin' their old furnace, I donno where you could look...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem455133 View Post
Good day gentlemen and any ladies.

I am modifying my HAVC system to include a return air system to draw air from directly over the wood stove (current there is no return, just a open side panel on the furnace similar to mobile home furnaces, actually I think it is a mobile home furnace... bottom output) . This LP furnace is noisy (as all the mobile home type seem to be... but that's what they installed in this 1100 ft2 105 year old home). I contacted a local HVAC guy and he simply wants to let the blower on this furnace circulate the wood heat, but I am NOT interested in listing to that high speed small direct drive squirrel cage.... not an acceptable solution to me. Tthe AC runs all summer and it does get old listening to it. The fact that we will be adding about 25 l.f. of return air ducting... it will be a little quieter... but the furnace is still on the main floor.

I want to incorporate a second large diameter belt driven squirrel cage into the return air ducting on its own thermostat sensing the wood stove. I want it QUIET! If the wood stove runs low... and the main LP furnace has to kick in, I simply want it to draw through the big squirrel cage (now off since the wood stove is cold) and operate as a normal furnace.

My HVAC guy seems to be having trouble locating a large diameter squirrel cage that is belt driven to incorporate.... some one has to make these.

It need not be at the same CFM that the furnace's firebox needs... as its only circulating the wood stove heat around the house.... but the biggest driver is to be quiet... thus big and slow. It will be in the eave and not directly in the downstairs... but I really do not want to hear much of anything... one of the nice things on wood heat is its quiet... but I do need to circulate it.

Any ideas? Yes one has to think outside the box.

Thanks... Dave
this what you are looking for?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/bel...og/N-8sw?xi=xi
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
how

I'd look under 2nd hand or used building supplies. Up here they often include old furnaces that might have the set up your after. The other option would be to contact your local furnace instalation companys to say you'd be willing to remove the next large old furnace off their hands from where ever they remove it , and save them another dump run.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
I'd look under 2nd hand or used building supplies. Up here they often include old furnaces that might have the set up your after. The other option would be to contact your local furnace instalation companys to say you'd be willing to remove the next large old furnace off their hands from where ever they remove it , and save them another dump run.
Ayuh,... Which is Why I've been throwin' 'em away.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote