Source For Replacement Capacitor - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

source for replacement capacitor

let me just say that this has been one loooooooooooooong week after the downstair's furnace went out on my wife who works primarily from home during this colder weather that we've been having in northern california. i called up an HVAC guy who gave me some advice and i read up on most of the troubleshooting sites and watched most of the youtube videos and figured out that i had a problem with the flame sensor. after finding a replacement part and installing it i noticed that there was a humming sound coming from the blower and that if i spun the wheel slightly, it would go into full throttle mode. i think the problem is with the capacitor so i pulled it out and now i have absolutely no idea where to find one of these things since all of the replacement capacitors that fit the specs are not two prong.

does anyone know where to find one of these capacitors or is there a way to modify the wire connectors so that it'll work with a different capacitor?

it's actually been quite a fascinating learning process except my wife is beginning to run low on patience especially the other night when i accidentally knocked out service to the upstairs furnace when i swapped out the flame sensor to test the other furnace lol.

Advertisement

frank_shic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 618

Your diagnostic is probably correct.
I see nothing unusual about that capacitor. Any Hvac supply shop should be able to give you something to work.

Advertisement

Last edited by how; 12-18-2011 at 12:45 AM.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 514

5 microfarad 370VAC is a common cap. 2 prong or 8, it is still only 2 posts.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #4

oh thank goodness it's standard... i had no idea! the last time i saw a capacitor was way back when i was a young lad who had nothing better to do than hang around radio shack! i don't suppose anyone would know of a place that's open on sundays in the san francisco bay area?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

don't see stuff on the sites but might try HD/LOWES out there they sell furnaces might have parts in electrical like caps if not local Grainger supply early monday morning they stock them and welcome home owners....might bump into an HVAC residential guy sunday beagels trip they always carry them..junk yard,motor shops,flea market never know
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 252

If you get stuck having to order by mail:

http://www.arnoldservice.com/run_capacitors.htm

About half way down, it's oval, not round:

Replaces General Electric 97F5705, Bryant, Carrier P291-0503
5 MFD 370 Volt Oval Run Capacitor

Price $8.00 Each
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

hold on to the insulated handle of a screwdriver and short the metal shaft of the screwdriver across the 2 lugs on top of the cap to short it out,that capacitor stores a charge of 370v untill you discharge it!
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #8

wow! only $8?!? i'll bet the local parts retailers will gouge me for much more... i bought replacement flame sensor the other day and it ended up costing me $60 but at least it'll help support one of the remaining mom and pop stores in the area thanks for the reminder plumen - that's the first thing i did after i pulled off the capacitor wires WITH gloves. can't tell you how many times i've zapped myself with 110 changing plugs lol
Old 12-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
retired elect/hvac/plumb

you can clean a flame sensor with fine piece of scotch brite
Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #10

i polished the original flame sensor until it was beautifully shiny but it didn't work and when i compared it to the other furnace, it looked a little bit shorter as if it had broken off since you could see the exposed end although the break was pretty clean.

i managed to find a source for a replacement capacitor but it looks like the capacitor the guy is selling has two posts each with four prongs. the original capacitor has only two prongs. will it be a problem just attaching the clips to one prong on each post? i've noticed that all the new capacitors look like the one that the seller is describing:

Old 12-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_shic View Post
i polished the original flame sensor until it was beautifully shiny but it didn't work and when i compared it to the other furnace, it looked a little bit shorter as if it had broken off since you could see the exposed end although the break was pretty clean.

i managed to find a source for a replacement capacitor but it looks like the capacitor the guy is selling has two posts each with four prongs. the original capacitor has only two prongs. will it be a problem just attaching the clips to one prong on each post? i've noticed that all the new capacitors look like the one that the seller is describing:

the number of lugs on top will make no differance in your situation,you just need to make the mf rating and voltage match is all
Old 12-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #12

got the furnace working again last night except i got a really annoying wakeup call later in the evening when the motor started humming really loudly. now it won't turn even if i give it a crank with my hand. is the motor blown? i'll probably wind up calling the pro in at this point. i've spent over a week on this already and my wife's patience has run out but i'd just like to know what the problem is!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #13

does it free spin with no power in either direction? and if it spins does it stop real fast bearings are dried out.....probably can't oil them shoot the shaft side down intot he motor with WD40 see if it loosen it up but plan on a motor change....is the motor clean or covered in dust and dirt....might be overheating.if you have AC does the fan run in FAN/ON off the subbase only selection
Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #14

it spins marvelously when there's no power but now when i turn on the fan it just hums very loudly. before i installed the new capacitor, the fan would turn on it's so annoying! i wonder if i screwed something up when i rewired it because i had to disconnect everything prior to pulling out the blower but i photographed it and matched everything up like it was before. btw i did glance at the date of installation on the inside of the furnace and it looked like it was manufactured in 1988 making it about 23 years old...
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #15

is it just a furnace setup or do you have AC..if you do try the FAN/ON only from the stat.if not the motor is shot try changing a speed wire and replace that LOW connection wire.if you have more then black and white....from the motor you do have spare speeds....check the motor tag....if you read 115V to the motor on the exsisting wires the winding is fagaizeeeed...thats ITALAN for **** up

Advertisement