Sooting Up Of Burn Box In Propane Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sooting up of burn box in propane furnace

Hi,
I've got a five year old janitrol propane furnace that has 5 burner tubes . The tube at the far right (gas enters header from the left) constantly clogs up with soot to the point that the flame is not drawn thru it but just burns at the box face.
Now, I had a heating guy come out last spring and he thought the exchanger was cracked so he replaced it at a cost of $300.
I now believe I got soaked because it still does the same thing. Tubes 4 & 5 exhibit reduced flow (1 being the far left).
I've cleaned them as best I can but its still not very good. Why is it doing this on just these 2 tubes and how can I cure it?

Advertisement

geden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Ok,so here's the rest of the story...
Had another furnace tech come out to check it out..after some investigation and questions to regional sales reps
it seems Goodman neglected to tell the installer that at the time of this installation (mid 2000) they (Goodman) were retrofitting these furnaces (model #GMPN100-4 REV B) with different orifices and heat exchangers...but I'm still out $300.00 on the previous heat exchanger change and I don't know yet as to whether Goodman will make good on this latest virtual rebuild. Tech said installer did everything by the book...so this one is squarely on Goodman as far as I'm concerned.

Advertisement

geden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

The burner problem that you were experiencing could be caused by a cracked heat exchanger. Indeed, the original technicial did find and replaced a cracked heat exchanger.

It would be highly, highly unusual for that original technicial to troubleshoot any further. For the average field technician to question the actual engineering of the equipment is almost unheard of. That technician would never suspect that either the heat exchanger itself or the oriface design would have changed. He ordered a new heat exahanger for your furnace, and installed it. When that part was ordered, the only people in the chain that could have possibly known this information was Goodman or the Goodman parts house where the heat exahanger was ordered.

Upon finding that the problems still exist, the second technician dug more deeply. This would be normal. It doesn't mean that the first technician didn't do his job. It simply means that the first technician did exactly what the second technician would have done in that case. The second technician now, and only now, will question the engineering further. This is when he learned that Goodman has re-engineered some key parts.

Yes, your complaint is with Goodman. I guess you already resolved that, but I wanted to make sure that you weren't holding your technicians or the local dealer for whom they work on the hook for this. What they did was prudent and normal.

Not that it's any excuse, but are you aware that Janitrol is just about the cheapest, bottom of the barrell furnace that money can buy? You get what you pay for.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote