Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Some questions about my NEW 95% effecient gas furnace

Hi All,

I bit the bullet and had a 95% effecient gas furnace installed today to replace my old clunker. I had a few questions:

1 - seems like I am getting WAY more air flow out of the registers and into the intakes now (so much so that one of them almost whistles). But the new blower motor looks like the same size as my old one was. Am I imagining the increased air flow??

2 - I swear my house seems more comfortable/evenly heated, but it also seems that the air coming out is not as hot as it was before. Is this because the air is moving so much faster throught the furance and out the vents so it feels cooler than slower moving air over the same amount of heat.

3 - They had to install a condensate pump - anything I need to know about maintenance of these things? They are new to me.

Thanks

Mr Blotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

Post the make and model.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #3

You should have received a manual with the new furnace and condensate pump complete with maintenance guides. Most brands also have web sites with this info including technical bulletins. Might help you to understand a lot more about the products but all questions are welcomed here. Just some food for thought. Congrat's on your new furnace. Sounds like it is performing well.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Also post the thermostat make and model.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blotto View Post
Hi All,

I bit the bullet and had a 95% effecient gas furnace installed today to replace my old clunker. I had a few questions:

1 - seems like I am getting WAY more air flow out of the registers and into the intakes now (so much so that one of them almost whistles). But the new blower motor looks like the same size as my old one was. Am I imagining the increased air flow??

2 - I swear my house seems more comfortable/evenly heated, but it also seems that the air coming out is not as hot as it was before. Is this because the air is moving so much faster throught the furance and out the vents so it feels cooler than slower moving air over the same amount of heat.

3 - They had to install a condensate pump - anything I need to know about maintenance of these things? They are new to me.

Thanks
1) No. The air flow on higher efficiency furnaces is markedly higher to maintain higher efficiency. Air flow can be so high that undersized returns can whistle. This can be be remedied with grills with more free area or gearing down the blower (assuming the the temp rise stay with in specs).

2) yes. The aim to size the new furnace to the correct size for better comfort and less gas consumption. Faster moving air seems cooler..but if you keep your hand in the air stream you will fell it get warmer(more btus per cfm at higher speed).

3) Your contractor should be the one to answer maintenence questions. But your owners manual can answer those questions too.

Can't believe a retired mechanical inspector could/would not answer this for you.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #6

HVAC lover...if you were really sharp you may have noticed that the Retired HVAC inspector's BIO reads.. Commercial/Industrial applications...not so much on domestic so, rather than blather, just offered a tip in the right direction...did know increased air flows on new units but now know a bit more..thanks...anytime you have a commercial/industrial question, particularly about boilers...give me a dingle...CHEERS
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #7

well then..... a hissin match...lol registers should not whistle.... house will be more comfortable..... lower supply air temp is due to lower td newer furnaces are set up for....condensate pump...no worries there..... change it every 5 years and you will be fine.... mine is 11 years old know...i dont mind a wet floor though.....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. My new furnace is an 80k BTU American Standard Model # auh1b080a9421a. I am still using my old Honeywell thermostat that I got about a year ago.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #9

Not sure I'd be happy with whistling.... these furnaces have jumpers on the control board that can adjust the blower cfm. Lowering the airflow a tad should help the whistling and it will also raise outlet temps. The tech needs to measure the temp rise and make sure that any adjustment in airflow keeps that in spec. Your installer should be able to tell you if this is practical or not. Such an adjustment and temp measurement would take only a few minutes.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. My new furnace is an 80k BTU American Standard Model # auh1b080a9421a. I am still using my old Honeywell thermostat that I got about a year ago.
If your thermostat is not a dual stage thermostat, they would have the furnace set for a single stage thermostat, which the circuit board would control the ramping.

Also, your ductwork could be undersized for the new furnace, which may also be causing the whistling. Are all the ducts at the same output, or different? Your HVAC installers should have one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Extech-AN100-C...ords=cfm+meter and can take readings to check all registers.

If only one is whistling, maybe upsizing the duct vs the register.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #11

Thanks - let me refine my statement. There is no whistling perse, but one of the two intake registers make a pretty good sucking noise....nothing that wakes you up, but it is louder than it was with old furnace.

So is my new furnace a 2-stage? If so, i would have gotten a new thermostat to take advantage of that! I thought it was single stage....
Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks - let me refine my statement. There is no whistling perse, but one of the two intake registers make a pretty good sucking noise....nothing that wakes you up, but it is louder than it was with old furnace.

So is my new furnace a 2-stage? If so, i would have gotten a new thermostat to take advantage of that! I thought it was single stage....

Increase your return air size, whistling will go away. Or if you can, add a return air in a room.

If your filter is pulling in, its asking for more air. Also, becareful of the type filter you use, they can be too restrictive.
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

If it is your return, a larger return would be in order. What is the current size of the returns? HE 95% systems are variable or dual stage.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
Part of the Clover Leaf

[quote=techpappy;1056502]HVAC lover...if you were really sharp you may have noticed that the Retired HVAC inspector's BIO reads.. Commercial/Industrial applications...not so much on domestic so, rather than blather, just offered a tip in the right direction...did know increased air flows on new units but now know a bit more..thanks...anytime you have a commercial/industrial question, particularly about boilers...give me a dingle...CHEERmmmmm
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
Hvac Pro

If it is a metal return grill and whistles or is noisy you can sometimes buy fancy wood grills from HDepot to replace it (or a handy guy could probably make one if he does woodworking) and wood won't whistle. The installer shoud check the temp rise and adjust the blower speed accordingly. Also the new furnaces start the fan on a timer after 90 secs and none of them will run higher than 135 deg supply temp or shouldn't. The old ones started the fan at 150 and ran higher. With plastic parts/hybrid plastic they cannot run these furnacse too hot or they get damaged.