Some Help A Reznor - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Some help a Reznor

I have a reznor xl140-3 fired by natural gas. This problem started a while ago and I found a work around by just manually turning the gas on or off to have heat but I know this is not safe or convenient. The problem is that my thermostat seams to have no bearing on the heater. If electric and gas are on --the heater is on. The fan timing relay is still functioning because when I manually turn the gas down with the electric on it still flushes before shut off. I not see a spark(in the mercury switch) or hear a click which I do on my other units when I turn the theremostat above room temp. This makes me think the relay is jamed "on" in the heater itself. My question is: Does this seem logical as a diagnosis and can I access and replace the hidden relay myself?

ps. I tried disconnecting the thermostat entirely with the wires seperated and the heater still fires up. This also makes me think thermostat is good but the electrical problem is somewhere in the heater.

thanks everyon for your help in advance,

cheyney

Advertisement

cheyney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Some help a Reznor

When you disconnected the thermostat wires was it at the thermostat or at the heater? Could be shorted wires going from the unit to the thermostat.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Some help a Reznor

Thanks for the response.

Earlier I disconnected at the thermostat. Today I checked the connections at the unit. All the wiring looks ok. If I disconnect at the heater would it still fire up if all heater electrics were sound.
cheyney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac