Solar Wall Heating System - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Solar Wall Heating System

Hi,

Another question from the energy audit we recently had completed on our 20 year old house.

The evaluation report said, while there is no government grant money available, we should consider installing a 'solar wall system to supplement our space heating'.

I say the word solar and thought they were talking about electricity, but no they are talking about heating.

I've done a little research on the internet but wondered if anyone had any experience with these?

Many thanks!

Advertisement

Educator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

HomePower magazine has had a number of articles on the topic.

Advertisement

kayakertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

You'll also find info on this in Mother Earth News, another self-sufficiency magazine.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the references, but what are your experiences?

I'm looking for personal experiences with different products, etc. to make the most informed decision, if in fact we install one.

Magazines are nice, but I like to hear from those who have actually installed them or have them installed in their home for additional comfort that they do work as advertised or additional lessons learned on what to watch out for.

Much appreciated.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Dan,

If you would take the trouble to actually investigate the two
magazines referenced, you would find that the articles are written by people who write from personal experience about the systems they installed in their own homes. I wrote an article for HomePower awhile ago on a solar vehicle I built - my direct experience; what worked, what didn't, lessons learned...

You will find much more direct information in HP, where people have put a lot of effort, photos, diagrams, references than you will find in a forum like DIY - just my direct experience.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator View Post
Thanks for the references, but what are your experiences?

I'm looking for personal experiences with different products, etc. to make the most informed decision, if in fact we install one.

Magazines are nice, but I like to hear from those who have actually installed them or have them installed in their home for additional comfort that they do work as advertised or additional lessons learned on what to watch out for.

Much appreciated.
kayakertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakertom View Post
Dan,

If you would take the trouble to actually investigate the two
magazines referenced, you would find that the articles are written by people who write from personal experience about the systems they installed in their own homes. I wrote an article for HomePower awhile ago on a solar vehicle I built - my direct experience; what worked, what didn't, lessons learned...

Tom
Hi Tom,
It sounds like I have offended you in some way and if so I apologize.

I have looked at both those references but was looking for more. Not everyone is sufficientlyfortunate to have the time, inclination or opportunity to write an article that is published on a web site or magazine, so it was feedback from those foke that I am seeking before making my decision to take the plung or not.

Thanks for your feedback.

Anyone else have any experiences that are not published in a magazine? Your input is hight valued as well.

Advertisement