Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Share |

So I clean my condenser coil and then...no A/C

So in an effort to be a good homeowner and hopefully improve my A/C system's efficiency I decided to clean the condenser coil on my 17 year old 2 speed Lennox A/C unit today. I pulled the disconnect by the unit, remove the fan cover (but not the fan) and used a garden hose to spray the fins from the inside out. When I was done, I put the fan guard back on, popped in the disconnect, and went inside to turn the thermostat down and bask in cooler vent temps...at least that was the plan. I had my handy infrared thermometer and immediately notice the air isn't cool. I go out side and hear the compresor "humming", but the fan isn't running. A glance inside reveals a wire hanging loose - three connections on fan (number, 1, 2, and 3) but only two wires connected - I had obviously knocked one of the fan wires loose. I run back inside, turn up the thermostat, pop the disconnect, remove the fan cover, connect wire, replace fan cover and disconnect and think "That'll do it". Except, it didn't now NOTHING comes on at the condenser unit (i.e. no fan, no compressor, etc.) - note: I could feel the heat coming up from inside the unit when just the compressor was running. Anyway, I've now called a repair tech (no good deed goes unpunished), but I did pop the side cover and saw a pressure switch with a red button. I tried pushing it with the power disconnected, but no change (in order to reset do they need to have power)? I'm assuming some type of thermal or pressure protection has triggered (hopefully I did not burn up a compressor in 5 minutes). Any ideas?

Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #2

Did you use at least coil cleaner?

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
30 year tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy
Did you use at least coil cleaner?
what would that have to do with anything?
I doubt the compressor went bad but anything is possible. You can try pushing button to reset. Are you sure you got the wires back in the proper place? Could other wires be loose or off now?
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #4

OK, so I hit the reset button after letting it sit for a few hours and she kicked back on! Yeah. I'm anxious to see if my split temp delta improves today (if if by just a degree, etc.). Thanks All
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #5

Clean the indoor coil and the blower that will help your evaporater split better. When you say split a techs thinks across the evaporater. We also look at the discharge temp at the condenser. Yes their is a delta t at the condenser. Just make sure if you post for help if you say split or delta t let everyone know evaporater or condenser delta t it will help us help you.
nunesent is offline   Reply With Quote