Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

Smoke eliminating air filters

Got a customer who is complaining about smoke from her neighbors fireplace getting into her house. I stopped by and confirmed that she's pulling about 25% outside air from a rooftop vent. Customer doesn't want to enlarge inside return air so I can't just cap it off. Anyone know of an air filter that eliminates smoke?
Thanks!

kirwinjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Not really there. charcoal can eliminate/minimize odors.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 12-17-2013 at 10:44 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Combination of electronic air filter, along with an activated charcoal filter.
hvactech126 (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #4

Great. Thanks guys. That's kinda where I was going with it.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Experienced HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere
Combination of electronic air filter, along with an activated charcoal filter.
This summer Colorado had a large forest fire problem. Unfortunately my town and the surrounding ones got so much smoke because we were so close, we could even see the flames several miles away at night. What I am trying to say however is my secretaries were worried about their allergies and asthma . So I had a RGF-PHI (google it) put in the duct work of the shop and I swear it cleared smoke and smell from air.
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

If she is smelling smells from the outside, the first thing I would be looking for, is poorly weatherstripped windows and doors, the house furnace, draft from the water heater, bathroom and dryer venting allowing these smells from the outside atmosphere to intrude into the dwelling.

All a charcoal filter on the HVAC system will do, is clean out the smells as the circulate through the system, when it is running.

No what sh has, is a drafty house, or back drafting on appliances. A blower door pressure test,would show her where the problems are.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Experienced HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
If she is smelling smells from the outside, the first thing I would be looking for, is poorly weatherstripped windows and doors, the house furnace, draft from the water heater, bathroom and dryer venting allowing these smells from the outside atmosphere to intrude into the dwelling.

All a charcoal filter on the HVAC system will do, is clean out the smells as the circulate through the system, when it is running.

No what sh has, is a drafty house, or back drafting on appliances. A blower door pressure test,would show her where the problems are.
He is saying there is a fresh air intake. That's what is pulling in the smoke, not the flue pipe
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

What she has, is an over sized fresh air intake. Which is located on the roof close enough to the neighbors fireplace chimney to pull in smoke/fumes.

At least according to what he posted in the starting thread.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #9

Yes, she is definitely pulling a large amount of outside air. However, with the wind blowing in the right direction, even a small amount of outside air will draw that smoke into her return air. I figure ill need to install a filter cabinet with the smoke eliminating filters in the attic and run the outside air through it before connecting to the return air plenum. I wish I could install the filters in the furnace closet but there is absolutely no room for it. I measured every way possible.
Thanks guys.