DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Smoke coming in from neighbor's condo?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ianc435 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a townhouse/condominium, and one of my neighbors is a very heavy smoker. My upstairs bathroom almost always smells like cigarette smoke. I've lived here for about two years, and always thought it was the exhaust fan, so I would clean it regularly. But the maintenance people say that each condo has its own individual exhaust system. Then I started thinking it was coming from the same wall as my shower head, but that wall just backs up to my closet. Is it possible that the smoke is coming in from the pipes? The exhaust duct? The heating duct? Any ideas or information would be appreciated. I know very little about it, but I would like to get rid of it! :)

Thanks for reading!

#2 ·
Could be from the attic is you have an attic. Or it could be drawn through the joist space in the ceiling when you run your bath exhaust fan.

#4 ·
The joist cavities should be communicating in a condo. So as to prevent easy spread of fire.

But. they weren't always sealed the best.

Try caulking around the shower head. See if that stops or reduces it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.