Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

smelly house a/c

My Carrier central A/C unit puts out air through all vents that has a harsh smell to it. We have cleaned the ducts, cleaned the inside coil with a contractor with no luck. As I looked in the box around the inside coils, the insulation was black. Under that top layer it is yellow, but the top layer is black. See, I don't know what normal is since my other unit has a silver lined insulation. The problem unit was put in 2001, model CD5AXW036021AAAA. Is the smell from that insulation?

dougster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

smelly house a/c

Try cleaning the evaporator drain pan and line with some bleach. You may have some mold in there that could cause the smell. Also ensure that there is a trap on the drain line that goes to your floor drain and fill the drain with water to ensure you have a proper water seal against odors coming from the floor drain. Might even want to pour some water down your floor drain to ensure that pee trap is full as well.

statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
sweaty

Rewards Points: 250

smelly house a/c

On my old Carrier system, I found that if I ran the fan continuously while the AC cycled on and off, I got a foul odor. I left the fan on AUTO and tha solved it.
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

smelly house a/c

Had a mouse that got whacked on the fan blade from a refrigerator once and died close to the fan. Very gross, anything is possible.
Check the black stuff with a Qtip-if it comes off and you think it is mold you have a major problem with your house (and your health--bad for the lungs). My a/c was put in in 1995, not black, and no smells.
agrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carrier ac