Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #1

Share |

Smell from new fuel oil boiler heater

Hi All,
Wondering if anyone can offer suggestions.
I live in a studio apt. above a garage and my heating is a radiator system supplied by a fuel oil boiler heater that's installed in the garage. Yesterday, my landlord had a brand new one installed because the old one had a crack in it. I got home from work yesterday and turned on the heat, and almost immediately there was a strange smell eminating from the radiators. It smelled like a bandaid, very plastic-ish smell. This is the first time I have ever smelled anything coming from the radiator. It's strongest in the bathroom but is also coming from the other radiators in the place. I don't know whether I'm smelling exhaust, fuel oil, or what. I was thinking it was because the boiler was new and that it might go away after a few days. Should I be concerned? I've alerted my landlord to the issue but he's away on vacation right now. I've been leaving the bathroom window open at night, but was awoken a couple times last night by the smell.

I have a carbon monoxide detector but it didn't register anything. Also, I smelled the heat coming off the pipes and it didn't smell. Maybe the smell is coming from the space where the pipes enter the floor of the apt. The garage had the same smell but it was hardly noticeable.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

joeybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Boiler or furnace?
Boiler, heats water.
Furnace, heats air.

If furnace. Its probably the coating they put on heat exchangers to prevent rust while the unit sits in the warehouse.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Boiler or furnace?
Boiler, heats water.
Furnace, heats air.

If furnace. Its probably the coating they put on heat exchangers to prevent rust while the unit sits in the warehouse.
It's a boiler that uses fuel oil as its heating medium.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

They may have the water temp set up higher then the old boiler was. And your smelling the dust get hot.

Or. They don't have the burner set up correctly. And the combusted fumes are coming up the holes where the pipes come through.

Go into garage while its running. And see if you have the same smell there. if its there, you have Co and CO2 coming out.
If odor is not there. Its probably dust.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
They may have the water temp set up higher then the old boiler was. And your smelling the dust get hot.

Or. They don't have the burner set up correctly. And the combusted fumes are coming up the holes where the pipes come through.

Go into garage while its running. And see if you have the same smell there. if its there, you have Co and CO2 coming out.
If odor is not there. Its probably dust.
Ok, thank you for the help. I went into the garage and the same smell is there but only slightly. I don't really notice it. Plus my Co detector didn't register anything so I'm going to assume its either dust or the fact that its a new boiler and I'm smelling the new boiler smell. My landlord has been alerted and we're trying to get the tech back out there to check it out.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Unless your Co detector shows PPM readings. It won't show low levels of CO.