Smartvalve Pilot Adjustment - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

smartvalve pilot adjustment

I have a natural gas furnace that I just replaced the Honeywell sv9541 smartvalve in. The igniter/ flame rod sensor was replaced at the same time but it seems as though the flame rod is not proving the flame. The pilot seems as though the flame may be too strong. The directions stated that the pilot comes preadjusted to fully open. It does state how to adjust it by turning the pilot adjustment screw, but it does not show where this screw is in the figure it refers to. Can anyone tell me what screw this is before I start guessing.

Advertisement

crasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 826

Usually DIRECTLY next to where the pilot tubing attaches to the valve there is a aluminum cap you unscrew. I have never had that problem and the bigger the flame the better as it needs to cover lots of the flame sensor. I suspect the wiring harness is not plugged in properly at the valve. unplug it and try again.

Where did U get the valve? not from Z Bay I hope. It may be used and repackaged and faulty. Only safe place is from a heating supplier.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 09-22-2013 at 10:24 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

There is a large phillips screw next to the pilot tube, Removing the screw exposed a small flathead set screw, I imagine that is what is used to adjust the pilot. The new smartvalve is actually acting the same as the old one did. The pilot would light, the flame rod would get red hot but the main burner would not light. I will take another look at the wiring diagram to make sure I had checked all the safety switches to make sure none of those are faulty. The new valve was purchased from an online hvac parts supplier.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,562

agree with yuri never had to adjust a pilot on a smartvalve ...but they had alot of problems with connector and the valve itself...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
beenthere (09-23-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #5

For awhile the pilot light stopped working. It appeared to work intermittently when I pushed on the connector for the igniter/ flame rod. Oddly enough the igniter would glow red regardless of whether I was pushing on the connector though. I am assuming that there is a loose solder joint inside the valve that was only working when pressure was applied to it. I did get the pilot adjusted even though it probably was not needed and a few seconds after the pilot lights the main burner lights. I cycled the furnace several times and it seems to be working properly but I am not convinced it will be reliable.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

that is a VERY common problem with them and no it won't be reliable.
ben's plumbing (09-24-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

Thanks for the input, for the time being I will keep testing the furnace in the morning and nights even though it is not really needed yet. I am afraid it will keep working until it is actually needed. It is how things seem to go most of the time.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

I would return the valve for another. unlikely 2 new ones will be duds.

Advertisement