Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #1

Share |

Smallest 3 ton A/C coil size

I may have to consider replacement of my 2 ton aging heat pump. Load calc and usage tells me it is undersized since an addition was put on by the previous owner. Load calc tells me I need between a 2.5 to 3 ton system, so a 3 ton is probably my best money spent.

My inside coil case is in a tight spot and it would be costly to rearrange the furnace, gas lines, power, coil case, duct work, etc. Ideally I need to find a 3 ton uncased coil that fits inside the existing coil case, but the largest coil I can find that fits is 2.5 tons.

The coil case is 16 1/4"W x 21 7/8"D x 22 3/4"H.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
I may have to consider replacement of my 2 ton aging heat pump. Load calc and usage tells me it is undersized since an addition was put on by the previous owner. Load calc tells me I need between a 2.5 to 3 ton system, so a 3 ton is probably my best money spent.

My inside coil case is in a tight spot and it would be costly to rearrange the furnace, gas lines, power, coil case, duct work, etc. Ideally I need to find a 3 ton uncased coil that fits inside the existing coil case, but the largest coil I can find that fits is 2.5 tons.

The coil case is 16 1/4"W x 21 7/8"D x 22 3/4"H.

Just add Cooling TXV.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator1076 View Post
Just add Cooling TXV.
Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting I take a smaller uncased coil such as a 2 ton and simply add a TXV?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #4

is it vertical or horizontal? if it's an older unit, it's probably a 10 SEER coil and you won't be able to find one that fits. typically, cases for newer 13 SEER units are similar in width and depth for attaching to the furnace. the difference is the height (on a horizontal installation).

when i replaced mine recently, i bought a cased unit and it was a few inches higher on the height, but the other dimensions were the same. i was unable to find a matching coil for my case, but it was a good thing because the drain pan in the case was starting to rust and it had clogged my drain line once already. however, i matched the tonnage. mismatching tonnage from your condenser unit to your coil is not a good idea i don't think. a newer, more efficient coil should give you a slight improvement in cooling ability.

here is a pic of what my new installation looked like where you can see the height difference. i should have modified the plenum, but i didn't want to deal with it. it works better than it ever did before, that's for sure. the new case also included a TXV which helps with efficiency as well.

Smallest 3 ton A/C coil size-20100603_0084.jpg

Last edited by NitroNate; 02-18-2011 at 10:56 AM.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #5

Nitro,

It is an old slant coil. Not sure of its SEER rating.

Was considering replacing the entire case, but as you discovered they are a different size these days. As mentioned I have space issues that will make it costly, so I'd like to avoid a case replacement. I suppose if I match height I might be able to get away with a replacement.

My plan is to replace both the outdoor unit, and indoor coil (and most likely the line set). Just hoping to reduce some headaches.