DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

small wood stove

9K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  dpreznik 
#1 ·
I am looking for a small wood burning stove. The space I can use for it is only 20" wide and about 15" deep.
Could anybody help me find something that might fit?
Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
#6 ·
call your inspectors at your permit office and ask them what the rules are for your particular problem. be honest with them and they should be able to answer you. fireplaces and woodstoves are 'dangerous' when not installed/used correctly and we'd hate to lose you!
(i think fireguy typo'd, he meant to say CLEARANCES)
our woodstove is surrounded with brick walls.
DM

#12 ·
ok, was the soot all over the walls shown inside the opening? like it was 'the inside of a chimney' dirty? if so, i believe there was a fireplace insert in there, and that was the chimney opening. someone took out brick to make it a broom closet maybe? did you paint it white in there?

DM

#14 · (Edited)
did you paint it white in there?

DM
Yes, I did paint it white. There is a real fireplace in the living room behind the brick wall you see on the picture. And there is a square chimney above the place you see on the picture. The fireplace behind the wall has its own separate chimney.

Bit I still don't know where I can take a stove small enough to fit into this space.

#17 ·
ok, that would seem to me to be an old fireplace then, as most woodstoves have round pipe to mount up to the flue or out to the wall. looking at that pic again.... what is the 'mailbox' looking thing? it looks like a front porch... shoot a picture looking up the hole. might help too. (and that guy REALLY needs some chimney work done, huh? lol)

DM

#18 ·
what is the 'mailbox' looking thing? it looks like a front porch... shoot a picture looking up the hole. might help too.
Don't pay attention at that thing. It is just a toy. There is a lot of junk around there. Unfortunately, I have no picture where I am now. It is just a square chimney opening in the ceiling with that orange flue inside.

#20 ·
You might try a wall tent stove, or a military surplus tent stove.
Other than that, you may have to make one. There used to be kits for barrels years ago, & I have had a few but cant locate them anymore. Maybe try some of the big tool & Part catalogs (McMaster) & such?

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody for suggestions.
Somebody gave me Jotul 602, though without legs. As I already mentioned above, I have for it a space on the picture below.

The width of the stove is not much smaller than the width of the opening above. Is it OK to put the stove into the space on the picture, so that the stove would heat the bricks around, and the bricks would radiate the heat into the room? Is it safe for the stove? Is it safe for the bricks?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

#25 ·
great price on the stove! i think i'd look for a short leg kit online though, it'd look better. =o)
i see no reason why not to install it there, though an inspector will give you the answers, as a permit should be pulled for this install.

*good luck!*

DM

#26 ·
Thank you for the answer.
Now I have another question concerning installation of the stove. I have chimney flue along the whole length of the brick chimney. Do I need to have a steel liner of the full length of the chimney? Are there any advantages and disadvantages of it?
Thanks.

#28 ·
As I wrote before, somebody had given me a stove, but I realized that it was missing burn plates. If you have one in Georgia, should I understand that you are giving it away? Is it small enough (because the space is limited)? And how would it get here? It must be very heavy...

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.