Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #1

Share |

slope of ac drain and condensing furnace drain.

I installed two 3/4 inch drain lines for my new furnace and a/c coil that is installed in my attic. I need to see what everyone thinks about how I set it up. First of I came off the trap of the furnace and a/c coil with a good slope of about 1 inch per foot. The lines then went straight down for about 10 feet to the crawlspace of the house. From here I put an elbow on the two lines as tight and close as I could to the floor joists and then terminated the line out one of the foundation vent windows. My questions is the vent window is located at a height that it requires the line to have an upward slope of about an inch over about 7 feet. It is phsically impossible to have a downward slope unless I drilled two holes through the foundation lower than the windows which I don't wan't to do. Will the slope out of the furnace in the attic and the 10 foot drop be enought to keep me from having problems with this?

hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartkem View Post
I installed two 3/4 inch drain lines for my new furnace and a/c coil that is installed in my attic. I need to see what everyone thinks about how I set it up. First of I came off the trap of the furnace and a/c coil with a good slope of about 1 inch per foot. The lines then went straight down for about 10 feet to the crawlspace of the house. From here I put an elbow on the two lines as tight and close as I could to the floor joists and then terminated the line out one of the foundation vent windows. My questions is the vent window is located at a height that it requires the line to have an upward slope of about an inch over about 7 feet. It is phsically impossible to have a downward slope unless I drilled two holes through the foundation lower than the windows which I don't wan't to do. Will the slope out of the furnace in the attic and the 10 foot drop be enought to keep me from having problems with this?
Where do you live?

If there is even a remote chance you will ever have freezing weather, I see this as a huge problem.

I wouldn't give drilling holes a second thought, I'd pull out the hilte and drill the holes.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #3

you could go uphill a couple of feet and it will still drain, the ten foot drop will provide enough gravity to drain it
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Is there a chance the crawlspace can drop below 32.
If so. You got a big problem. It will freeze in the trap you created, and leave you without heat.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #5

I live in southern california and there is no chance it will ever freeze. I thought the 10 foot drop would allow it to work just fine. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought.
hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

If the temp will never drop below 32, then it should work fine.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote