Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 766
Rewards Points: 516
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


We currently have a pretty big in wall ac in our living room. Are there any "slim/low profile" type in wall ac's out there? It looks like there are only ductless ones that are very expensive. Thanks.

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 277
Rewards Points: 256
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


You might be able to find a bit smaller through the wall unit of the same size (capacity), but it's going to take X amount of bulk to do the work. The mini-splits divide that bulk between two units.

old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 766
Rewards Points: 516
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


Quote:
Originally Posted by old_squid View Post
You might be able to find a bit smaller through the wall unit of the same size (capacity), but it's going to take X amount of bulk to do the work. The mini-splits divide that bulk between two units.
Thanks ...my AC unit now is about 15,000 BTU and all the splits seem to be about $1,000+...
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,497
Rewards Points: 2,678
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Thanks ...my AC unit now is about 15,000 BTU and all the splits seem to be about $1,000+...
If they made smaller sized 15,000 BTU thru the wall units, they would probably cost about the same as a ductless.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,917
Rewards Points: 2,950
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


A mini split may seem expencive but will be far quieter, use a lot less electricty.
LG sells a model that only needs a thin face plate that you can hang a picture on.
I opted for one that heats and cools for a 800 sq. ft. rental I own.
I used to heat with gas and was paying over $50.00 a week for fuel.
Now my total power bill for the whole house is $50.00 a month
Now I only use the gas for cooking and have not had to buy gas for 3 years.
I was amazed at how small a wire was needed to power it, even standing next to the unit outside it's hard to hear it running.
If I remember right it was only a 12-2 wire with a double 20 amp. breaker.
It only needed a small whole in the wall, 3" I believe.
I installed the whole thing myself except making the line set connection.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 766
Rewards Points: 516
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A mini split may seem expencive but will be far quieter, use a lot less electricty.
LG sells a model that only needs a thin face plate that you can hang a picture on.
I opted for one that heats and cools for a 800 sq. ft. rental I own.
I used to heat with gas and was paying over $50.00 a week for fuel.
Now my total power bill for the whole house is $50.00 a month
Now I only use the gas for cooking and have not had to buy gas for 3 years.
I was amazed at how small a wire was needed to power it, even standing next to the unit outside it's hard to hear it running.
If I remember right it was only a 12-2 wire with a double 20 amp. breaker.
It only needed a small whole in the wall, 3" I believe.
I installed the whole thing myself except making the line set connection.
Sweet, nice Joe. Dumb question. Split ac unit do both heat and ac? Why would I need it to heat...have baseboards
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,917
Rewards Points: 2,950
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


You can buy them that just have A/C or both heat and cool. At the rising price of oil and as a back up if that boiler goes down it may be worth the extra money to to go with the heat and cool.
Hard to say how well it would work in your area since you still have not added your location to your profile.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 766
Rewards Points: 516
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You can buy them that just have A/C or both heat and cool. At the rising price of oil and as a back up if that boiler goes down it may be worth the extra money to to go with the heat and cool.
Hard to say how well it would work in your area since you still have not added your location to your profile.

lol..NY . Thanks. I will update
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 766
Rewards Points: 516
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A mini split may seem expencive but will be far quieter, use a lot less electricty.
LG sells a model that only needs a thin face plate that you can hang a picture on.
I opted for one that heats and cools for a 800 sq. ft. rental I own.
I used to heat with gas and was paying over $50.00 a week for fuel.
Now my total power bill for the whole house is $50.00 a month
Now I only use the gas for cooking and have not had to buy gas for 3 years.
I was amazed at how small a wire was needed to power it, even standing next to the unit outside it's hard to hear it running.
If I remember right it was only a 12-2 wire with a double 20 amp. breaker.
It only needed a small whole in the wall, 3" I believe.
I installed the whole thing myself except making the line set connection.
What model #?
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 766
Rewards Points: 516
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


I see some of these brands that I have never heard of. Has anyone heard of these?

http://www.ac-world.com/MiniSplitAir.php
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,917
Rewards Points: 2,950
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


Never heard of them before.
This is the brand I have.
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/bu...s/s_range.html

I'm no HVAC guy but you may live to far north for a heat pump to work correctly because of the cold. It would work just cost more to run because the back up heat strip would have to kick in to keep up.
I'm sure later in the day some will be online.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 766
Rewards Points: 516
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


Is installing a split system(cooling only) a DIY project?
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,497
Rewards Points: 2,678
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


I get the heat pump. can save you some money on your heating bill.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 766
Rewards Points: 516
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I get the heat pump. can save you some money on your heating bill.
Not sure then what Joe meant when he said the heat pump might not work correctly. Thanks.

If others could chime in that would be helpful.....should I get a heat pump? Thanks.
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Sleek/Slim Look AC


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Not sure then what Joe meant when he said the heat pump might not work correctly. Thanks.

If others could chime in that would be helpful.....should I get a heat pump? Thanks.
Heat pumps are A/C's that work in reverse. Instead of moving heat from your house to outside they reverse the freon flow & move heat from outside to inside. Freon at atmospheric pressure is well below 0 degrees ferenheit so the freon can be pulled down to temps lower than outside air & still pull heat from the cold air outside. And it's significantly cheaper than gas or electric heat.

The issue with this is as the air gets ciolder it's harder for your unit to make heat from. Once it drops below 20-30 degrees outside the unit won't be able to make enough heat to heat the space. At that point the electric resistance heat has to kick on to keep up.

So basically depending on how cold it gets in the winter, the heat pump might not do much for a lot of the winter. But if you don't get below 20 degrees very often it can save you quite a bit.

For instance I recently bought a house that had radiant ceiling heat (similar to your baseboard heaters) and an A/C only system that was about 3 years old. I removed the new A/C and replaced it with a heat pump. Granted I can do the work myself & even get the units at a discounted rate since I work for an HVAC company, so it was a little cheaper for me to do that. But if you're going to put in a new A/C anyway the difference between putting in a heat pump shouldn't be much more expensive.

JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.