Sizing A Room Up - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sizing a room up

As far as figuring up btu's per room, how do I do that. example: 10' X 12' X 10' Ceiling. I Know that would equal my cubic feet, but how do I know what btu's are needed, is there a rule of thumb for this?

Advertisement

Livewire78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sizing a room up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire78 View Post
As far as figuring up btu's per room, how do I do that. example: 10' X 12' X 10' Ceiling. I Know that would equal my cubic feet, but how do I know what btu's are needed, is there a rule of thumb for this?
For room heaters it's 10w [34 BTUs/hr] per sq. ft., so it's 4100 BTU/hr plus or minus a wide margin, for your room.
For more precision there's always Manual J, for whole houses.

Advertisement

Last edited by Yoyizit; 12-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

Sizing a room up

If you want to make an accurate analysis, you need to calculated the heat loss through the six sides of your room, and size your heater to produce at least that amount of heat. To compute heat loss through a wall, you need to know the temperature difference between inside and outside, and the R value of the wall. For example.

You have a wall which is 8 feet high and 12 feet long, for an area of 96 square feet. The wall is insulated to R-19. You plan to heat the inside of the house to 68 degrees F. The design outside temperature is 10 degrees F. Therefore the temperature delta is 58 degrees F. The loss through the wall is the reciprocal of the R value, or 1/19 BTU per degree per square foot per hour. So in this case, you lose 58/19 = approximately 3 BTU per square foot per hour, or about 300 BTU per hour total through the wall.

You make the same computation for each of the six sides of the room (include ceiling and floor), but note that the temperature difference between the room and the attic is not the same as the temperature difference between the room and the outside. Similarly, each wall has different insulation.

Do this for each room, add up the total, and you will know how much heat loss to expect under design conditions, so you can size your heater appropriately. Make sure you account for windows, they typically have lower R value than the walls they set in. Also, you need to adjust for air gaps, most houses are not very tight.

So after all this analysis, you may simply want to ask a furnace supplier, they probably know more or less what works in your area.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote