Sizing The Return Air Grill/duct - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sizing the return air grill/duct

Just finishing a rebuild at the New Jersey shore of my personal home which was destroyed bt the Sandy Storm. It is a small single story bungalow with a Ruud 50,000BTU furnace w/ 2 Ton of air. This Ruud unit was/is located in the attic and was not affected by the flood. I completely rebuilt the petition walls and had to re-run all the feeds using flex duct. There is 4 small bedrooms (each 10'x9') and a living area (kit & LR) about 11' wide x 40' long. Im having a problem with limit switch "lock-out". This happened only once or twice before the flood and now it's everyday. It was suggested that my return is too small for the system can't get enough air which will cause the lock-out. I have 10 6" flex duct feeds (1 in each of the 4 BR's / 1 bathroom / 5 in the main living area (kit & LR) with ONE 14 x 14 return grill. Prior to the flood the original system was installed w/ ONE 14 x 14 return but it was nearer to the unit (about 12') now with the re-model it is about 24' away. With the information provided can anyone help with their thoughts about the size of the return and if this would cause lock-out and if so can you suggest what to do. 1) move the return closer? 2)increase the size of the return? (to what size)

Advertisement

jmac357 is offline   Reply With Quote