Sizing A Heat Pump For A Simple Building - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sizing a Heat Pump for a simple building

Mostly, I'm looking for a correct tonnage so I can compare prices to formulate a budget.

I have a 30X40 foot metal building with Tan walls and a shiny galvanized roof. It is nestled into deciduous trees (oaks, maples, walnuts, etc.) all 70-100 ft tall about 15-20ft from the building. The building stands 12ft tall at the eves and 15ft tall at the peak. It has no windows and sits slab on grade. The west wall has one 36"X80" metal, insulated polystyrene man door and a 10X10 sectional garage door with metal sections, insulated polystyrene. The lighting produces approx 5000 BTUH and may eventually increase to 12K. All walls and the roof/ceiling are insulated with 4" white vinyl backed roll insulation. It located in central NC, Latitude 36 Summer temps 92 and winter 20. Summer grains of moisture = 105, the daily range = 20, inside temps summer = 75 and winter = 70 w/50% RH.

It's just a workshop that I do a wide range of stuff in woodworking, metalworking, car repair, just regular guy stuff, etc.. I have quite a bit of storage in it as you might imagine. I dunno what else you might need to know, if anyone can help with a manual J and D calc, I'd really appreciate it.

Maybe manual J and D don't apply to this situation. If not could you let me know what I should be requesting when I ultimately request a few estimates from local contractors. Life is very busy these days and I don't have time to meet with folks and get hard estimates. I just like being an informed consumer and give the boss (wife) a fairly accurate budget figure for some upgrades we need done around here.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Advertisement

Last edited by choffman; 07-25-2010 at 04:32 PM.
choffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,514

You can do your own load calc, use this.
Its 49 bucks. But well worth the money.

If you don't have time to have contractors come out and give estimates. No sense trying to use a ball park. Since without seeing it. No one can give a close ball park.

Prices over the phone. Probably won't be close either. And a good contractor won't give a price over the phone.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You can do your own load calc, use this.
Its 49 bucks. But well worth the money.

If you don't have time to have contractors come out and give estimates. No sense trying to use a ball park. Since without seeing it. No one can give a close ball park.

Prices over the phone. Probably won't be close either. And a good contractor won't give a price over the phone.

I'm not looking for a price. I'm just looking for equipment sizing. I've been an electrical contractor for the past 20 years and an estimator for the last five. I can figure out the rest (design, layout, labor, permits, power, etc.)for a budget. I have no desire to do the work myself, back injury pushed me out of the field into the office.

Moderators: If this post is inappropriate, please just delete it and send me an email letting me know you've done so/or why. I thought I had posted it in the proper topic.
choffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,514

The thread is a little off topic for a DIY theme.

If you want, I can move it to the Off Topic forum.

PS: Use that load calc program, and you'll have your equipment sizing.

Anybody that tries to size it without coming out to see it. Is going to be pretty far off. making it a useless guess.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote