Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #1

Share |

Singer Air Handler Issues

I have a Singer BDHU 311000 air handler with a White-Rodgers thermostat in my 2- BR rental duplex that oftens blows cool air and starts/stops erratically. Can't seem to get thermostat to stabilize temperature: it must either be all the way up or all the way down. Utility bills are outrageous and the room dampers in the ceiling don't seem to work, so I can't really open/close them as needed. All the lights throughout the house flicker on/off whenever blower motor activates. I've been told and have read where units over 15-yrs old should be replaced. Tried searching for HVAC expert who may have repair/inspection experience with Singer with no success, but I've been told replacement parts are impossible to find. I want to present some viable options thru the management company to my landlord, so my rent doesn't skyrocket if the system is replaced. If it needs replacing, I'd like to know if can get an energy tax credit for getting something more modern. What could be causing electrical issues? Should the system be replaced? Are there hazards of which I should be aware? There's no carbon monoxide detector in the unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mareshah7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #2

wel i got out of hvac tech school in 1979 and singer was a dying breed than so its probably 25 yr old at least, and time for a replacement. any enrgy credits will go to the homeowner and they are usually only offered on the most costly units (in other words forget it)an most landlords arent looking to spend 10,000 on a replacement hvac unit.if its all electric than no c/monoxide detector is needed unless there is other gas appliances in the home. could be wireing issues in the elec panel causing the dimming(loose wires etc) if the blower was drawing too much current on startup should be tripping/blowing circuit breakers/fuses

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Having to adjust your stat like that, is either the wrong stat.
Miswired.
Or not set up right.

The lights dimming could be caused by the stat bringing on all the heaters at once.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #4

Thank you so much. I'm not a technician, but a very savvy consumer advocate.
mareshah7 is offline   Reply With Quote