Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Still Learning

Share |

simple question

Hey guys. Too many installs and not enough service... On my house I have an R22 system. Today was like 85 ambient and my pressures were 55 on suction and 245 head. The condenser was shutting down on high pressure safety. There was no Ice on the evaporater. Could this mean that the compressor is going out or do you think its just a kinked suction line?

thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
REP

simple question

Well Still learning,,,How has the system weorkerd in the past and what has happened since the last time it worked right???
When exasctly did you kink the line???
Something to think about,,,,if you are getting high pressure,,,what makes you think the compressor is bad?????

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Still Learning

simple question

Its a rental we are in. Our roommate says it never worked in the 4 years he has been here. I thought maybe the compressor might be going out cause of the low suction. I dunno, I never seen a compressor go out yet. I dont know anything about the history of this system. I changed out the king valve on the suction liine cause it rusted and all the refrigerant leaked out. I charged the system and I figured cleaning the outdoor coil would do the trick but it didnt
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

simple question

Are you sure it's cycling on high pressure? With R-22, the head pressure you're reporting would be a bit on the low side.

It's impossible to say without both pressure and temperature readings, but you might try adding a bit more 22. The low side pressure generally should be above 55 with an OAT of 85. But you'd really have to take temp readings to know for sure ...
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

simple question

Did you remove the olf LLFD and install a new one? You got a restriction somewhere in the liquid line most likely. Could also be a restricted metering device.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Still Learning

simple question

There is no LLFD. I am hoping its not a clogged metering device. Im gonna wait for it to cool down and I hop up there and check out the indoor coil. I hope I dont have to dump the charge and blow the lines out
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #7

simple question

Quote:
I changed out the king valve on the suction liine cause it rusted and all the refrigerant leaked out
You didn't install a drier when you did this? Did you evacuate the system before charging?

Did you chemically clean the outdoor coil? A clean water flush, or using household cleaners, isn't really effective. You need to use a chemical designed for cleaning coils.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

simple question

Dump the charge? You don't dump the charge. You recover it. And when you open a system up to change a service valve, you install a LLFD.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Still Learning

simple question

Ya a llfd would have eliminated the problem. The metering device is clogged, and I have like 10 of them in my garage, I guess I just got lazy. And of course I will recover the charge, please excuse my terminology. I dont even want to fix this damn ac unit. Im sweatiing all day so 85 degrees is cool to me but my wife keeps complaining about the heat. I feel dumb cause the refriigerant leaked out from the king valve on the suction line, and I didnt have an extra one, so I bypassed it and installed an access valve so I cant just pump it down and open up the piston and clear it out. Ii gotta do the whole schebang, and its like so bust right now cause summer, so my off time I wanna sleep, or cut up coils and condensers to make room in the garage, but instead I gotta deal with this crap. Oh well, sorry, just needed to vent