Sick from fumes from new furnace
We had a new furnace installed yesterday. When the insallers first turned it on, smoke filled the house and my smoke alarm went off upstairs. I raced to the basement to see what the problem was. They said that there is an oil coating placed on the furnace when it is in the warehouse to protect it from rust. When the furnace first fires, it burns off this coating.
But I became sick from these fumes. I thought I was having carbon monoxide poisoning, except that the carbon monoxide alarm never sounded. I asked my installer if the smell was normal and he said that it was. My symptoms are: light-headedness, dizziness, nausea and retching, burning eyes, headache, and an acrid taste in my mouth.
Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, how long does it last? Thank you for your help. (and yes, I've aired out the house and left some windows cracked.)