Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #1

Share |

Shut Heat Pump Off 12 hours per day in Winter?

Hi,

I realize this is a trough question. I have a Trane XE1000 heat pump that is now 15 years old, and has been working fine all this time. But it is running constantly in this 0 to 15 degree weather, which apparently is normal.
I want to give it a break, so it will last longer until the next replacement is necessary. In the last 10 years I noticed the price of installing a new heat pump has more than doubled!
So I am thinking of shutting down the heat pump during the 12 coldest hours of the day, and heating the house with a kerosene heater. The kero will keep the whole place at 65 degrees all day, it's amazing.
Will having the HP off for so long result in some unintended problem? I imagine the fluids that were kept at the same temps when the unit was running coinstantly, will now all get down to 0 to 15 degrees, and at the next startup will be darn cold. I've heard about some sort of "migration" that occurs during the off cycle in a heat pump. Just wondering if I'll be hurting the old HP more than helping it, if I shut it off for 12 hours at a time during the cold.

Thanks
Krell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

Put it on emergency heat .Don't turn off the circuit breaker. That will shut off the compressor heater.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
hvac instructor (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

don't do it. Using kerosene heater indoors is dangerous. Plus the smell. like bobelectric said, use the emergency strip heaters but expect a larger electric bill. when the heat pump is running constant, the house has reached it balance point which means it is losing heat as the same rate the heat pump is adding heat. start saving for a new one so when it does break you will be ready. also replacement in the off seasons might bring the price down.
hvac instructor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

It will cost you more if you use a Kerosene heater. Also those heaters should be vented to the outside, not for use indoors. If you are going to use auxiliary type heating, get a Pellet furnace for helping to heat the home, when you want to not run the Heat Pump all of the time.

BTW, what is the model# and manufacturer of the thermostat that you have? Also, what is the model#s of both the Heat pump and furnace that you have, along with all plate information on both of those units.

When it gets cold like that, most heat pumps and furnaces will run non-stop. I have not had to deal with that issue, even when we set our thermostat for 69f for our furnace (no Heat Pump). A lot of issues with non-stop running, is leaks around windows, doors, outlets, baseboards, little or no insulation up in the attic, air sealing in the attic, crawlspace or basement areas.

Also is your basement or crawlspace Rim joist areas properly insulated and sealed for air leaks around incoming electrical, communications (catv, satellite, telco, internet), and any pipes. Also do you have flappers that close on the exhaust fans, along with a dual flapper for the Clothes Dryer, to keep outside air from coming in.

How old is your home that this unit is in, along with your location that you live in (country, city, state).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-26-2014 at 11:33 AM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote