Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

Should this valve be closed? w/ pics.

I'm extremely clueless when it comes to HVAC and can do minor plumbing...with that said...Can anybody tell me why this valve is off?

Thanks Much in advance!!

blazenlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

it should be open unless your PRV does not stop filling at the proper pressure. What is your current boiler pressure?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
how

There seems to be two schools of thought on this issue.
98% of the water feed gate valves I've looked at have been open. I have left them open because the few boilers that have ended up with too low a water pressure over time, have been those systems that had the water feed valve shut off...But..
There is another group of plumbers who maintain that a properly set up boiler system doesn't need to have the water feed valve left open. I'll let them pipe up to explain their reasoning on this..
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

it should maintain the stamped pressure with the valve open cold boiler 12 PSI boiler makes temperature from the stat and shuts off tops 20 PSI giving you 10PSI for before the relief starts to drip at 30PSI.if you ever bleed or need to just shut the circualtor OFF open the zone valves if you have them,and let the 12PSI feed just push the air out at the bleeders...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #5

I like to use products as they are designed for....so I leave water to feeder valve open...others say because its a closed system when set up for the season you can shut off valve .....I dont buy it....thats just me.. ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
REP

OK Ben,I assume you have a taco or a watts or a B&G PRV on your shelf.Please read the instructions in that box.
It is a pressure redusing valve,not a low water feed valve.
Just about every boiler I have ever been on the valve has been open and I have shut them off.
Why you might ask,so I'll tell ya.
Years andv years ago I got what was supposed to be a no heat call in a very upper end turn of the century home owned by a very prominate Judge.
What I walked into was a frozen winter wonderland of ice from the cieling to the floor.In the dining room the3 whole chandleir was encased in ice.
The stair case going upstairs was a iceb slide.
What had happened was the judge and his wife had traveled for a month.The boiler died. The pipes froze,when it thawed out it started to leak out in buckets.
Then it froze again and so on and so on.
The judge was going to sue bell and Gossett.The B&G rep showed us all the instructions that come with every PRV valve.
Since then I have shut off every gate or ball valve I ever come across.There are things called low water cut offs and they are now very cheap.
Oh by the way the insurance co declared the house totaled.So I am I'm sure one of the few people that know that not only cars can be totaled but houses too.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

Now, every homeowner takes a RISK of leaving there home for a MONTH with no one house sitting or checking on things periodically. I'm sure that it wasn't just the boiler that sprung a leak and that there were domestic water lines that were also leaking , so to say that is was the PRV valve's fault, I dont buy that. Sounds to me like it was the homeowner's fault for lack of due diligence when leaving there home for a month. Mr. homeowner could have closed the valve and shut all the water off to the home and drained everything and never had a problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hvactech126 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-13-2011), plummen (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
Now, every homeowner takes a RISK of leaving there home for a MONTH with no one house sitting or checking on things periodically. I'm sure that it wasn't just the boiler that sprung a leak and that there were domestic water lines that were also leaking , so to say that is was the PRV valve's fault, I dont buy that. Sounds to me like it was the homeowner's fault for lack of due diligence when leaving there home for a month. Mr. homeowner could have closed the valve and shut all the water off to the home and drained everything and never had a problem.
I second that
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
plummen (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
OK Ben,I assume you have a taco or a watts or a B&G PRV on your shelf.Please read the instructions in that box.
It is a pressure redusing valve,not a low water feed valve.
Just about every boiler I have ever been on the valve has been open and I have shut them off.
Why you might ask,so I'll tell ya.
Years andv years ago I got what was supposed to be a no heat call in a very upper end turn of the century home owned by a very prominate Judge.
What I walked into was a frozen winter wonderland of ice from the cieling to the floor.In the dining room the3 whole chandleir was encased in ice.
The stair case going upstairs was a iceb slide.
What had happened was the judge and his wife had traveled for a month.The boiler died. The pipes froze,when it thawed out it started to leak out in buckets.
Then it froze again and so on and so on.
The judge was going to sue bell and Gossett.The B&G rep showed us all the instructions that come with every PRV valve.
Since then I have shut off every gate or ball valve I ever come across.There are things called low water cut offs and they are now very cheap.
Oh by the way the insurance co declared the house totaled.So I am I'm sure one of the few people that know that not only cars can be totaled but houses too.
learn something new every day..after 30 yrs in the business never seen one have a problem..that was working right.... as far as going away ..my customers yes wll shut off main...if going for a week or longer.. THANKS

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 12-13-2011 at 06:11 AM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
REP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
I am not sure about your reply here.
Are you saying that somehow you believe that a PRV valve is a low water feed valve and its the right thing to so to ignore the printed install instructions?
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #11

So basically there's no "correct" answer. Everything seams to be running good so I mine as well leave it closed.

I do appreciate all the quick responses. Thanks guys!
blazenlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenlo View Post
So basically there's no "correct" answer. Everything seams to be running good so I mine as well leave it closed.

I do appreciate all the quick responses. Thanks guys!
Yep, leave it closed. It IS NOT a low water condition prevention device.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote