Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Share |

Should a natural gas furnace be double vented?

We are installing a natural gas high efficiency furnace...the quote has two vent pipes on it, but the installer is telling me one is enough...why the discrepancy? What is the value of the double vent over a single vent?

csellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #2

You need a combustion air intake, and researchers have shown over the years that outside air is always cleaner and more suitable for combustion then air from inside your house.This is why furnace manufactures in the installation manual tell use to use two pipes, to me it sounds like they are being cheap or lazy.

dosy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Part of the Clover Leaf

I think the op is confused on one or two things.

OP does not say if it's 80or 90% efficient, so if it's an 80 than is possible he is confusing double wall b vent for two separate vent.

if it's a 90% than he could be confusing the combustion air as second vent pipe.

Too many people I come across are still referring to 80% furnaces as "high efficiency" so I am covering bot h bases to be sure.

Hope this helps.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac5646 For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #4

I have to respectfully disagree with you HVAC5646, if you go back and read the first line of the OP, he clearly states that "We are installing a natural gas high efficiency furnace". I don't know what you Yankee's refer to as "high efficiency" but down here if some one says they want a "high efficiency " furnace, we quote them a 90% or higher. A 80% has always been referred to as a "Mid efficiency" unit.
I do think the contractor is confused though.........
He is selling one thing and trying to install less then what the client has paid for. I think Mr. Csellar know exactly what he is talking about and I think the answer that I gave him is accurate, persice and what the manufacture would say as well.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Part of the Clover Leaf

I'm no Yankee and don't call me one either.

And if you'd read my post there are people who still refer to 80% furnaces as high efficiency. If down your way is different than good for you. I always make sure if the efficiency is not specified.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Part of the Clover Leaf

I'd tell you this in PM but since you don't have it yet i'll have to put it ou in the open.

You are going to find that there are people and Pros from all over the country who congregate here, and there are regional differences in the description of things and even service practices. Don't be so fast to insult someone who does and says things differently than you.

You got one foot in doo-doo already by calling me a Yankee.

So be a little more mindful of other folks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hvac5646 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-07-2012), hvactech126 (02-07-2012), plummen (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #7

A typical high-efficiency furnace obviously has higher costs over the mid-efficiency furnaces. However, it cannot be ignored that the high-efficiency furnaces have higher efficiency ratings as opposed to that of the mid-efficiency furnaces. Furthermore, the rating indicates that these furnaces have much better energy efficiency and they are bound to save money on electricity bills. Usually, between High-Efficiency vs. Mid-Efficiency Furnace, the former has efficiency rating of about 90% or even higher. This means that for the same amount of fuel consumption the output from the furnace is greater than that of a mid-efficiency furnace. Furthermore, 90% or a higher rating hints at possible energy rebates for homeowners.
With the high-efficiency furnaces, one can overcome the temperature drops and variations with ease and without having to worry about the constraints on the electricity bills. With the proper ductwork installed, a higher efficiency furnace is capable of rendering 35% of energy savings, thus further lowering the electricity bills. High-Efficiency vs. mid-efficiency furnace offers a clear understanding as to when and where both forms of furnaces should be used.
People living in the milder climates may not require the higher-efficiency furnaces. In such a case, the mid-efficiency furnace is capable of offering adequate heating with an efficiency of 80-85%. Although, the high efficiency furnaces seem to be the best option, they often are not the ideal case for the mild climates. However, people living in sub-zero weathers could probably go for a higher-efficiency model due to more of a need to effectively combat the low temperatures. For mild climates, consider a mid-efficiency furnace. Such a furnace would be effective in maintaining the optimal thermal temperature while also keeping the energy bills to a decent level. For sub-zero temperatures, however, it would be the best to invest in the high-efficiency furnaces. This will offer a better respite against the frigid temperatures while also making effective use of the fuel.
Comparing the high-efficiency vs. mid-efficiency furnace would help us to understand that the former are more compact and require lesser maintenance. Most of the modern high-efficiency furnaces have switched over to safer and conservative fuels thus serving as an immediate solution for energy conservation on the planet. When energy conservation and portability stand out as the major factors for deciding on a furnace, the features boasted by the high-efficiency furnaces cannot be denied.

BTW, anyone who lives north of the mason-Dixie line, is known to the people who live south of it as a "Yankee".....its simple a label and It was not meant to offend you, but if you have soft tail feathers then i am sorry for the comment. I also checked the bottom of my boots, they was clean.......

If you know someone who is calling a 80% furnace a "high efficiency furnace" please correct them next time, we should not twist industry standards as it only adds fuel to the fire for the people that want to downgrade our industry, by saying that we use double talk to confuse the general public, for monetary gain.

Last edited by dosy777; 02-07-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Part of the Clover Leaf

Well Yankee offends me. So don't.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
how

Hey dosy777
Pardon my unsolicited "heads up"
The assumption that an op and you share the same understanding of HVAC terms often results in the longest of meandering threads before any real diagnostic closure results.
I think Hvac5646's post simply reflects his wish to be sure of the op's understanding of the Hvac terms and was not brought up as a questioning of your post.

People tend to shy away from making personal references towards the HVAC tech's to keep things collegial and clear for the op who is just here to find a solution to a HVAC problem.

Last edited by how; 02-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-07-2012), hvactech126 (02-07-2012), plummen (02-07-2012), yuri (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

I agree. Humor on the net can sometimes be mis-interpreted as there is no eye contact so we try be civil at all times. Name calling verbotten.
ben's plumbing (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Part of the Clover Leaf

Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Hey dosy777
Pardon my unsolicited "heads up"
The assumption that an op and you share the same understanding of HVAC terms often results in the longest of meandering threads before any real diagnostic closure results.
I think Hvac5646's post simply reflects his wish to be sure of the op's understanding of the Hvac terms and was not brought up as a questioning of your post.

People tend to shy away from making personal references toward the HVAC tech's to keep things collegial and clear for the op who is just here to find a solution to a HVAC problem.
Talk about meandering..........I don't agree with you, but I welcome constructive criticism. I will take your point of view to heart and consider it on further post. On the subject of meandering, The OP was given a educated and what I feel was the correct answer to his question on post #2. The bottom line is that the OP was getting a 90+ installed and the installers were trying to take some of the bacon home with them. He caught it and I re-affirmed it for him.

I still refuse to admit to any name calling, I am almost 60 years old, i have called northerners Yankee's my whole life and today is the first time any one has taken offense to it......maybe that boy is from the south and thats why he don't want to be called a yankee......i don't know, his name box says he is from detroit......thats a long way from grits. I do not understand why y'all are making such a fuss over nothing.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Part of the Clover Leaf

Who are you calling a "BOY"? Man, you just don't know when to quit while your ahead do you?

man your are thick!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #14

dosy777... just accept what the guys are saying...and where I come from PITTSBURGH PA If someone says something offends them WE STOP DOING IT >>>>SO JUST STOP AND MOVE ON TO HELP OR SIGN OFF....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
dosy777... just accept what the guys are saying...and where I come from PITTSBURGH PA If someone says something offends them WE STOP DOING IT >>>>SO JUST STOP AND MOVE ON TO HELP OR SIGN OFF....
I have put hvac 5646 to my ignor list......i would suggest that he do the same for me.