Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Should I replace my r22 unit

My compresor went out on my 3 1/2 ton r22 ac unit. A very good friend of mine who works for a very reputable company for many many years game a couple of options. 1. He can get me a used unit similar working used unit for $250 and he would charge me $150 labor. 2. Upgrade to the new enviromentaly friendly units and replace the whole system. He would charge me about $400 for the labor if I buy the new ac unit my self since he says that is whole lot more work. He would take me where his company buys the ac units and I can buy it for what ever his company pays for them, he did says prices vary.

He is not involved in actually paying for the parts he usually just goes to pick them up. My question is what is the cost of a new enviromentally 3 1/2 ton friendly unit that used gas for heating to a AC repair company? Is there a big price difference between brands?

Now before you start thinking all sort of bad things about my friend I have known him since high school and he also married my cousing.

Last edited by gilm99; 08-12-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: I live in San Antonio - My house is 10 years old all original equipment
gilm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Thats like asking what is the price of a fuel efficient car. LOTS of variables and brands and models to choose from. There is a big price difference and difference in quality between brands. He should be able to drop in there and get some prices to narrow it down for you. I am sure his supplier only has access to a couple of brands anyway. We don't do brand choosing here as all of us have our favorites and don't agree on one. Proper maintenance is just as important as brand. Some of the more expensive ones have longer compressor warranties and are built heavier/quieter and more sturdy. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by yuri; 08-12-2010 at 07:23 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

I do not see where you stated the age of the air handler, nor the outside condenser unit.

I did enjoy this part "Now before you start thinking all sort of bad things about my friend I have known him since high school and he also married my cousing"
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

You ain't gonna get a unit for what his company pays for them. You will be charged a higher price.

A company that does 50,000 dollars in business with a parts house. Pays more for their units then a company that does 500,000 dollars business.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

I got mine at cost for a 2 ton, same with the A-Coil. Only thing is, it was through a private individual that is licensed for HVAC & owns rentals. Labor is what is going to get me for the lines to be hooked up, since everything else was done by me for the majority.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I got mine at cost for a 2 ton, same with the A-Coil. Only thing is, it was through a private individual that is licensed for HVAC & owns rentals. Labor is what is going to get me for the lines to be hooked up, since everything else was done by me for the majority.
Cost is a misleading term.

His cost is most likely much higher then a large companies cost.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Yes, depending on who you purchase it through.

Tags
old ac unit, r22, replace, system