Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Share |

Should I replace my A/C?

Hi all,

I had a furnace tune-up done recently and this was their write up:

"I replaced the 16*25*1 filter. I cleaned all the burners. I cleaned the flame sensor. The heater rise is 79 degrees. That is because your coil is
clogged. The heater amps is at 8 amps. The hot surface ignited is at 98 ohms, it has to be replaced. The heater is not producing any CO. The
heater is at 80% eff. The humidity was at 27% it should be at least to 35% The static pressure is at 1" w.c. this is because your coil is
clogged. it should be at 0.25."

I don't get a lot of airflow upstairs at my house and the tech said it may be because the coil is clogged. I have no problem with my heat, but in the summer it gets really hot upstairs.

Will replacing my A/C unit and the coil increase the air flow upstairs and keep it cooler?

Is it pricey to make my house dual zone, with a separate thermostat upstairs? My house is ~2000 sq ft, 3 BR.

My house always feels dry, is it worth getting a humidifier installed if they replace the A/C?

I appreciate your insight. THis is a great site!

gtothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Should I replace my A/C?

The hot surface ignitor at 98 doesn't mean its gonna go out.

The humidity being 27% may or may not be low depending what the outdoor temp was the day he was there(probably trying to sell you a humidifier).

Coil may be dirty and need cleaned. Doubt you need a new A/C though.

Static pressure shouldn't necessarily be at .25". But 1" is too high.

Zoning will help, may be be expensive depending on duct lay out.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #3

Should I replace my A/C?

If they come back for an A/C tuneup ask them if they would take the cover off the coil and clean it. Have you always had the problem you described?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #4

Should I replace my A/C?

I've always had the problem of low airflow upstairs. The house is about 15 years old, I've been here for 2 years. My house is in the northeast US. When we moved in, the AC already needed to be recharged, so it's prob already leaking. I asked the tech about the humidifier, he wasn't trying to sell it to me. Our house is always dry, so is it worth getting one?
gtothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

Should I replace my A/C?

If the A/C needed charging it has a leak somewhere I hope they repaired the leak first. Humidifier would't hurt. Sounds like you need to have your ductwork evaluated as to the proper flows and sizing.
You would think the guy who did the heater would have cleaned the coil for you, even if it was an additional cost while he was there.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Should I replace my A/C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtothek View Post
I've always had the problem of low airflow upstairs. The house is about 15 years old, I've been here for 2 years. My house is in the northeast US. When we moved in, the AC already needed to be recharged, so it's prob already leaking. I asked the tech about the humidifier, he wasn't trying to sell it to me. Our house is always dry, so is it worth getting one?
Seal up your house first. See if the humidity improves. It will also save you money on your heating and cooling bill.