Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should this hole be sealed?

So I'm having my oil company come over to look at my "Brand New" oil furnace. I noticed that there is black smoke coming out the chimney when the burner is running. I'm not to confident with the old man who installed it because a few weeks ago it stopped working. We called and his wife answered and said he was in the hospital and was sending his son who is in HVAC school to come fix it...GEESH!

So it was just a faulty wire and has been working "perfect". Noticing the smoke from the chimney I went down and watched the furnace. There was a little bit of chunky soot below the flu coming out the top. That's when I saw this little hole. I also noticed a small amount of smoke wafting out of the hole into the basement. BAD I know. My question is should this hole even be there? Should it be sealed up with aluminum tape?

I'm hoping its just running rich and the tech can make some adjustments. I'm more concerned with the hole at this point. You can see a few flakes of soot in the pic. I had just wiped down the entire furnace an hour earlier before it fired again. So I know it just happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Should this hole be sealed?-_mg_3043.jpg  

Last edited by lucid484; 11-05-2012 at 10:14 AM.
lucid484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,348

Is that exhost pipe sitting at an angle?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is that exhost pipe sitting at an angle?
Very slight angle....The Fire Dept. Has to inspect and approve the system. They failed the previous OLD furnace because they stuck a camera inside and saw a cracked core.

Also is it normal/bad to leave the old damper? will is cause problems having 2 dampers? I hate contractors who don't have a clue!
Attached Thumbnails
Should this hole be sealed?-_mg_3048.jpg   Should this hole be sealed?-_mg_3051.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

Found out why the hole is there....For inserting probe and testing CO2,smoke etc. etc. sealed it up with aluminium tape for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to lucid484 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,432

It is now and has been burning quite dirty if you see that amount of soot. The bigger problem is that the heat exchanger is now sooted up and you are losing efficiency. It now needs a proper cleaning to remove the soot and have a qualified tech setup the burner properly with a combustion analyzer. Chimney should also be inspected for excess soot and may need cleaning.
ben's plumbing (11-05-2012), DangerMouse (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

Well my oil company tech was over and was like "who installed this?????"...As I guessed they did it wrong....spent about 20min settong it up and adjusting ratios....guess the original guy had it so it wasn't getting enough oil and too much oxygen...well its good now and running perfectly!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,432

make sure you get it properly cleaned at the end of the season and checked with a combustion analyzer. even a very thin coating of soot on the heat exchanger works like insulation and slows down the thermal transfer thru the metal (losing efficiency) so that costs you lots of $$ and with the price of oil you don't really want that to happen.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
as seen on tv

Rewards Points: 150

looks like a Nordyne furnace, Your barometric damper is placed incorrectly and will not function as designed. When set up correctly that hole should not have anything coming out of it

Last edited by qbert; 11-05-2012 at 07:10 PM.
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

you know, there ARE professionals who do this kind of work.....you should have looked for one........just sayin'