DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Service Question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/service-question-182973/)

stevem447 07-03-2013 10:49 AM

Service Question
 
I have a new AC system, the line set needs to be run and brased, and the system needs to be charged with R410A. The penetration already exists on the exterior of my home for the line set, how much would you expect to pay a machanic to complete this job?

TarheelTerp 07-03-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevem447 (Post 1210960)
I have a new AC system...

Nope. You have a pile of components used in a system

Quote:

...how much would you expect to pay a machanic to complete this job?
This isn't a service question.
This is a "how can I backdoor an installation" question.

stevem447 07-03-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarheelTerp (Post 1210965)
Nope. You have a pile of components used in a system

This isn't a service question.
This is a "how can I backdoor an installation" question.

Is that not allowed? Can you answer the Question?

gregzoll 07-03-2013 11:24 AM

Depends on the company, how many man hours, etc.. Too many variables. It cost me about $300 three years ago for a R-22 install.

Prices have gone up, so get calling.

stevem447 07-03-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1210970)
Depends on the company, how many man hours, etc.. Too many variables. It cost me about $300 three years ago for a R-22 install.

Prices have gone up, so get calling.

I just called the distributor I bought the equipment from, he said the condenser comes pre charged with R410A, and that I should expect to pay $65.00 and hr for labor, and no more than $200 for refregerant. thanks for your input.:thumbsup:

Marty S. 07-03-2013 01:20 PM

Plan on closer to 3 to 4 hours to have it done right. Depending on where you live and how good the company is you'll be paying 90 -150 an hour.

TheEplumber 07-03-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevem447 (Post 1210976)
I just called the distributor I bought the equipment from, he said the condenser comes pre charged with R410A, and that I should expect to pay $65.00 and hr for labor, and no more than $200 for refregerant. thanks for your input.:thumbsup:

Never trust a supplier or dist.- they will only tell you what you want to hear.
Your best bet is to talk to installers- they're the ones who do the field work and set the hr rate- not a distributor....

gregzoll 07-03-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber
Never trust a supplier or dist.- they will only tell you what you want to hear.
Your best bet is to talk to installers- they're the ones who do the field work and set the hr rate- not a distributor....

Most of the guys and gals working behind the counter have been in the trade, but due to how things are going, they are having to work in supply houses, etc..

Plus they would know the range of costs, because they have the trades in and out all day long.

gregzoll 07-03-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S.
Plan on closer to 3 to 4 hours to have it done right. Depending on where you live and how good the company is you'll be paying 90 -150 an hour.

A little on the high end. Hope that company is bringing you a Prime Rib dinner at those prices.

Around here, the low end is around $50/hr, high end around $75-85, depending on the company. R-22 & R410 prices are set at standard base price for most places, regardless what company you go with. Labor is what kills you, no matter where you are.

TheEplumber 07-03-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1211036)
Most of the guys and gals working behind the counter have been in the trade, but due to how things are going, they are having to work in supply houses, etc..

Plus they would know the range of costs, because they have the trades in and out all day long.

But counter help was not mentioned- a distributor was. Most distributors I know have forgotten their way around a jobsite- let alone how to price field work.

This is a DIY site so the OP should review this-

http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/how-mu...s-here-127914/

gregzoll 07-03-2013 03:03 PM

EPlumber, thry already knew about price askimg. What they were wanting is an idea what most are paying gor jobs like this.

Insee no problem with telling someone what it cost me for having someone do work for me, so at least try get some sort of idea how much this stuff costs.

Just telling them we will not even give them a ballpark fig., with the disclaimer thatnit is for informational purposes only, we should just close the site down since people want to go that direction.

I agree that we cannot give them exact pricing, but at least those of us that have had the particular work done, or even had to purchase materials and tools for a job, it gives the OP something to go by, when they are bidding out their own job.

Anymore I do not even ask my main two guys what it will cost for them to perform a job for me, because I already have an idea what their cost per hour for labor is going to be, then just cut tem a check when the job is done.

stevem447 07-03-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1211023)
Never trust a supplier or dist.- they will only tell you what you want to hear.
Your best bet is to talk to installers- they're the ones who do the field work and set the hr rate- not a distributor....

My distributor warned me that installers are angry because the way the business is going, they don't like the idea of home owners buying and installing there own equipment, I don't have a problem with having an installer do the work, but they want $5000 dollars to do it, I think thats a bit greedy! I'd rather do it myself, I know the quality of the work, thanks for your input on this.

TarheelTerp 07-03-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevem447 (Post 1210968)
Is that not allowed?

It's touchy.
Quote:

Can you answer the Question?
As others have mentioned the number of hours involved can only be guessed at let alone what the "going rate" in your neighborhood is for a competent (and usually REFR license and contracting license and insurance required) contractor type who will also stand behind their work.

These last points are the tougher part.
The service guys don't want to have you calling them back when it's discovered later that *something* isn't right and the installer guys have no reason to help out someone who has taken food off their table.

FClef 07-03-2013 03:41 PM

I used to love people that did their own work and had to call me to fix it. My theory is: "You can pay me to do it right or you can pay me to make it right... your call."

Technow 07-03-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S. (Post 1211020)
Plan on closer to 3 to 4 hours to have it done right. Depending on where you live and how good the company is you'll be paying 90 -150 an hour.

x2

I am at $125/hour I know where my skill level and attention to detail is at and I don't work for a beer and a sandwich.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1211036)
Most of the guys and gals working behind the counter have been in the trade, but due to how things are going, they are having to work in supply houses, etc..

Plus they would know the range of costs, because they have the trades in and out all day long.

Never seen one person talk about "prices" in the supply house. Let's see....I can make $20 to $30+ in the field or make $15 behind the counter.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1211039)
A little on the high end. Hope that company is bringing you a Prime Rib dinner at those prices.

Around here, the low end is around $50/hr, high end around $75-85, depending on the company. R-22 & R410 prices are set at standard base price for most places, regardless what company you go with. Labor is what kills you, no matter where you are.

BS, if you value your "services" at the same price as some "dumass" What people seem to forget is this is all CUSTOM work, the time it takes is not set in stone anywhere, some "dumass" can figure it takes 2 hours and then cut as many corners as he can to get it done in 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarheelTerp (Post 1211061)
It's touchy.
As others have mentioned the number of hours involved can only be guessed at let alone what the "going rate" in your neighborhood is for a competent (and usually REFR license and contracting license and insurance required) contractor type who will also stand behind their work.

These last points are the tougher part.
The service guys don't want to have you calling them back when it's discovered later that *something* isn't right and the installer guys have no reason to help out someone who has taken food off their table.

X2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.