Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #1

Share |

Service Costs of Furnace Installation

Given the wealth of info here recognizing that installation is as critical as is the brand, type of furnace, how much is a typical basic installation of a high efficiency gas furnace please?

To remove a older 80's/90's furnace and install a new furnace ie. Trane, Lennox or Ruud please?

Is there a ratio ie. 50% cost for labour and materials and another 50% for the actual furnace please?

My basement is unfinished with easy access to put pvc piping for exhaust to the outside, relative easy access to drain. No major obstructions but I expect sheet metal work to fit existing ducting.

Thanks!

Liberator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post
Given the wealth of info here recognizing that installation is as critical as is the brand, type of furnace, how much is a typical basic installation of a high efficiency gas furnace please?

To remove a older 80's/90's furnace and install a new furnace ie. Trane, Lennox or Ruud please?

Is there a ratio ie. 50% cost for labour and materials and another 50% for the actual furnace please?

My basement is unfinished with easy access to put pvc piping for exhaust to the outside, relative easy access to drain. No major obstructions but I expect sheet metal work to fit existing ducting.

Thanks!
sight unseen, i would say betwwen $4500 and $6000

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
sight unseen, i would say betwwen $4500 and $6000
Harley,

Is that figure all in installed with the furnace and materiels please?

I need to budget accordingly to determine if I should try to keep my old furnace going or bite the bullet to install a new one.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Call a couple local tin benders and compare prices
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

yep, prices can vary as much as $3000 due to the quality of furnaces/features and cost of living in your area vs others. I have seen quotes here for $3000-4000 and we sell the same unit for $4-6000. just depends on your local cost of living and hourly rates etc.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Most company are offering 18 month same as cash. You may even ply to wells Fargo home improvement loan. You may get payment low as 150.00 a month.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Plus lot of systems are offing good rebates. Also check with gas company and electric company lot of them offer rebates.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Part of the Clover Leaf

With costs varying so widely from region to region the best The OP can hope for is a very loose generalization . It would be best to post for the OP to either post his area residence and the type system he wants and then communicate with Pros from that area.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
REP

Its impossible to get to a probable figure over the internet.It really is location spacific.
The best you can do is get 3 bids and then compare.Usually a bid is free but some places charge for a manuel "J"which is apsolutely essential.
It is also very very important to have the bidding co.perform a manuel "D" though this is something that is much harder to find.It is a very easy calculation to do if the manuel J is done but contractors are not used to doing it.If you want to be happy with the job make sure it is done before you sign on the bottom line.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #10

The answer to this has been recently compiled to represent the DIYChatroom Staff viewpoint which has been set-up as a “Sticky” for such occasions. Our main goal is to help others DIY, not supply a price which is why we have no forums designated as such. Other members are encouraged to post this “Sticky”, or main parts of it for new members thus helping the Moderators utilize their time for more pressing matters. We thank all members that are able to help us in this way.
It is the fourth sticky under “General Discussion” or just copy and paste this link: "How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

Gary
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Part of the Clover Leaf

I thought that might happen.....
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #12

Long overdue....LOL. Going to be a lot quieter around here if everyone helps...... well, not so much around here.You guys handled it well. Good job!

Gary
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #13

The OP didnt ask for a quote. Just a % for material/labor. Seems like it could be answered with no $$$$$ figures involved. Is this not allowed ?
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
The OP didn't ask for a quote. Just a % for material/labor. Seems like it could be answered with no $$$$$ figures involved. Is this not allowed ?
Quote:

you want to re-phrase that question?
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #15

Harley

Pls allow me to clarify my query: I am trying to compare my opportunity costs of either dumping more $$$ into fixing my old furnace vs justify getting a new furnace at typically the worse financial time of the year right after Xmas

So as I read that a hi eff modulating furnace which is a premium over a standard furnace ie double in cost, should I expect to budget double the cost of installation?

Pulled this from another site: "Initial costs for modulating systems are sometimes 2 times the cost for installing the standard systems, averaging around $4000 as opposed to roughly $2500."

I don't expect to get a quote here per se as I need an onsite inspection quote for accuracy but I don't want to set myself up for failed expectations financially