Separate Zone For Basement? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Separate zone for basement?

I have a small house/cabin in N GA where I spend winters. It currently has about 1000 sq ft on main level and about 200-250 in loft. I am completing the basement which is built into a hill. The front is a complete walkout with many windows and the back is underground.

All my other houses (in Alaska) had hot water baseboard heat and separate thermostats for lower and main levels and I thought a separate thermostat was standard. Since the heating vents are in and no thermostat, I asked the contractor today. He said it won'since it would require a separate zone.

I have a heat pump here and the furnace company said it's big enough to support the additional space. The heating outlets are in ceiling.

Is the basement going to be warm enough in winter? Is it common to have just one thermostat in the South? If it's too cool and I decide to add one, roughly how much does it cost to add a zone?

Advertisement

canoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
REP

Rewards Points: 500

In order to zone warm air it is credical to size the ductwork for it.This would be the main cost.Then you need motorized dampers and a control panel and maybe a dump damper .Again the ductwork has to be sized right.
With registers in the cieling you need a strong air flow to get the heat down to the floor.The simple round registers are great for cooling bur terrible for heating as they only throw the heated air about 3-4 feet..
I really don't think that your situation is an ideal DIY because it needs someone that understand air flow both in a zoned system and in registers and placement.

Advertisement

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks. I'm not actually doing it myself. I'm a widow and read the forum and ask questions here so I don't sound like a total sucker when dealing with contractors. It's helped a lot. ( FWIW, I have become pretty handy with simple jobs.)

My main question is will only one thermostat upstairs keep the basement warm? It's so much cooler usually. Is it common in the South to have only one? That would never be done at home.
canoes is offline   Reply With Quote