Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 682

SEER Rating

What would be the seer rating on an electric 10 kw air handler? Not counting the heat pump.

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,750

SEER Rating

SEER is a combo of the condenser and type/size of indoor coil matchup. Not the air handler. However if it has a ECM motor that uses less elec then that adds .5 to 1 to the SEER rating of the pkg. SEER is the operating cost cents/hour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...ficiency_ratio

Last edited by yuri; 10-13-2013 at 10:43 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

SEER Rating

That's like asking what the gas mileage a certain vehicle attains if it has a 20 gallon gas tank.

Wikipedia has a good explanation of SEER ratings and how they're calculated.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,712

SEER Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
What would be the seer rating on an electric 10 kw air handler? Not counting the heat pump.
SEER is a cooling rating. No condenser, no SEER rating.

However, single piece air handlers(coil included) are designed for X SEER condensers. Depending on age, it could be designed for 8, 10, 12 or higher SEER condensers.
ben's plumbing (10-13-2013), hvactech126 (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

SEER Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
SEER is a cooling rating. No condenser, no SEER rating.

However, single piece air handlers(coil included) are designed for X SEER condensers. Depending on age, it could be designed for 8, 10, 12 or higher SEER condensers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is not SEER an averaged number based on national utility usage?

That is, the EER rating is a more accurate rating of what an ac cost of operation is, rather than SEER?

Starting this past summer I have been measuring wattage and EER and my customers have a greater understanding of what their equipment operating cost are.

After actually seeing the "Before and After" reading, I have found my customers to be receptive to re mediating system faults that could cut their utility cost,
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

SEER Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is not SEER an averaged number based on national utility usage?

That is, the EER rating is a more accurate rating of what an ac cost of operation is, rather than SEER?

Starting this past summer I have been measuring wattage and EER and my customers have a greater understanding of what their equipment operating cost are.

After actually seeing the "Before and After" reading, I have found my customers to be receptive to re mediating system faults that could cut their utility cost,

SEER is based on BTUs per watt, at 5 different outdoor temps. EER is based on 1 outdoor temp(95F).
hvactech126 (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

SEER Rating

EER rating means "Energy efficiency rating" before that, it was called "BTU's per watt" and that's basically what it is. Applying this measurement to heat strips is rather concrete. It is generally considered that 1500 watts makes 5000 BTU's on any electric resistance heater. Your 10KW air handler makes about 33,000 BTU's. The EER rating of ANY electric heater is around 3.3

SEER calculation is done a bit differently than EER. EER is taken at 95 degrees outdoor temperature. SEER has many variables that are used in the process, it is measured at varying outdoor temperatures, and also takes into account that the full cooling power is not realized until the pressures in the system are at their maximum and minimum operating specs, which can take about a minute or so after starting...so cycling efficiency is added to the calculation. Many manufacturers have been able to "game" the ratings with variable speed technology. Their equipment creates higher SEER ratings by running at slower speeds that consume less power, at moderate ambient temps. The problem is that it in no ways shows that the equipment can in fact move more BTU's per watt than a single-speed system! A single-speed system would merely cycle on and off, where a multi or variable speed system would run at a lower capacity setting when the demand is more moderate. WHen purchasing a high-SEER system, also look at the EER rating too. Most of the time this is buried in the spec's of the equipment somewhere, and not readily advertised, because it typically is not really all that much higher than the low-end equipment. also...

**SEER RATING IS ONLY FOR AIR CONDITIONING!!! HSPF is the rating for heating cycle! Be sure to consider HSPF when comparing heat pumps
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

SEER Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by av-geek View Post

**SEER RATING IS ONLY FOR AIR CONDITIONING!!! HSPF is the rating for heating cycle! Be sure to consider HSPF when comparing heat pumps
Actually, HSPF is a misleading rating for heating. As a unit with a high HSPF can have a lower COP, and actually produce less heat then a unit with a lower HSPF.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Part of the Clover Leaf

SEER Rating

Quote:
SEER is based on BTUs per watt, at 5 different outdoor temps. EER is based on 1 outdoor temp(95F).
Yeah, but what I mean is EER isa better measuring stick of operating costs.

SEER ratings vary around the country based on climate.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

SEER Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
Yeah, but what I mean is EER isa better measuring stick of operating costs.

SEER ratings vary around the country based on climate.
The SEER is the same anywhere in the country. Its rated at 5 different outdoor temps.

Manufacturer/AHRI EER is only at 95F outdoor temp and 80F drybulb 67F wetbulb indoor conditions. Its a 1 condition rating.

Any field test we do, are only accurate for the conditions at that time.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Part of the Clover Leaf

SEER Rating

Quote:
The SEER is the same anywhere in the country. Its rated at 5 different outdoor temps.

Manufacturer/AHRI EER is only at 95F outdoor temp and 80F drybulb 67F wetbulb indoor conditions. Its a 1 condition rating.

Any field test we do, are only accurate for the conditions at that time.

Argh...you're not taking my meaning. I'm not making myself very clear here.....