Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Seeking informed HVAC info and opinions from the "pros"

I am currently involved in overseeing a home remodel job, in which I am expected to select a contractor for the new installation of a furnace (natural gas, forced hot air), air conditioning, and a steam humidification unit for integration into the ductwork for use during the Northeastern U.S. heating season.

I'm not HVAC knowledgeable and I don't need or want to be --- I know who the competent and reliable HVAC contractors are in my area and I firmly believe in letting professionals employ their expertise in their arena while I better use my own skills elsewhere in areas that I actually know and understand.

Each one of these HVAC contractors (we're now down to 3 still being even considered) exclusively uses one particular brand and product line. One is "Carrier only". Another is "Lennox only". The third being considered is American Standard / Trane only. I'm sure they have their own reasons for this brand loyalty, but I wouldn't expect to get an objective explanation of why that may be from any of them.

All of the bidding contractors have well established and reputable businesses and respected service histories in this geographic area. I'm betting that all bids will be close enough to one another that cost will not ultimately be a significant or deciding factor.

So talk to me, HVAC pros ---- how or why would you choose or rank or select any particular one of these 3 brands (no other brands are left in the incoming quotes, so are irrelevant). Are there really any significant quality or reliability differences among Carrier / Lennox /Trane aka American Standard???

I respect the opinions, experiences of observations of those in the know. Please share with me (and with interested others) your thoughts, opinions and recommendations on this specific matter of comparing these specific brands to one another. Thanks in advance.

Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

They are all VERY good and comparable in every aspect and the top three in the industry IMO although there are some other good brands. The only reason I stay away from Trane is their parts are a lot more expensive to buy. The outdoor coil on the Trane/AmStd uses a spine fin coil like round silver tinsel from a Xmas tree and can be a lot more difficult to clean and keep clean if you have Cottonwood trees that give off that fluff/seeds.

Last edited by yuri; 02-20-2012 at 01:18 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Part of the Clover Leaf

like Yuri said.

All three have excellent build and finish. The quality is there hence the brand loyalty of your perspective hvac contractors.

You should not worry over brand as the differences that do exist are strictly based on the contractor and his relationship with the factory. They don't affect customers.

I would pick a guy based the job he would do. And given what you have posted they all are good. Don't worry about the brands, you're covered there, the installation is what's important.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #4

Any of those brands are top end manufacturers. Most of us who are dealers are tied into one product line and are exclusive to new equipment in that line up. As you can easily see if you compare it to the auto market, we all service other people's stuff, but typically are loyal to the brand we sell.

You will find some that will try and tell you thier product is so superior to someone elses, but the reality is that all of this stuff is designed to give you great service if it is installed and maintained correctly. There are many options when you get into equipment selection and comfort options, so you really need to decide on what warranty, comfort options, control options, and efficiency level you want to participate at. Those choices should ultimately drive the price.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
HVAC Tech/Owner

Which contractor did a manual J and D? You are trying to rank brands which has very little relevance to a good install. I am a carrier dealer because they support my company, and are close to my shop. I don't deal with Trane (prima donna distributor and insulted me 10 years ago-can KMA, but I do have a parts account and like Yuri said-they are proud of their parts), York- excellent support, unfortunately they closed the satellite branch close to my shop and I'm not going to drive an hour and pay tolls to get something.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Instead of comparing the brand Names. Post the full model numbers of the equipment they are proposing. So we can tell which contractor is offering which features.

I would count on their prices being close.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
REP

Before I retired,I was a Trane dealer for more than 230 years.My experience was they more times than I can count went way above and beyond their duty to help my customers out.
That said all the brands you mentioned are considered quality companies.
I will add that you should go with the contractor that can show you a manual "J" AND a manual "D".These manuals take a little time but they provide a real answer to sizing and design that 100 years of experience and a wild guess just can't provide.
Think of it this way that contractor did his best and put in some valuable time to provide you with a quality quote.If they don't do this they are just taking short cuts to build their quote.If they take short cuts in this very important area,you can be sure they will take short cuts in installing your equipment.
Good luck in your endevor.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
Before I retired,I was a Trane dealer for more than 230 years.
Wow, your really old. LOL
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
REP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Wow, your really old. LOL
Hahaha sometimes it feels like that.
Damn fat fingers strike again.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote