Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
KGP

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Secondary Air Shutter ?

I have a Weil-Mclain 68v oil burning boiler that has been causing some stink. (was professionally serviced with nozle and filter at start of season) Pretty sure this is not a healthy situation and should be fixed ASAP.

I noticed the gasket between the boiler and the motor/blower was discolored so I sourced a replacement for this. I noticed that one of the 4 bolts that mount it to the boiler door were missing, so I will need to replace this.

The boiler also acts up and will not fire at random times. All that is needed to get it going is to hit the rest button. Because I am not normally home in the month of December, my wife has been resetting it and complaining about the smell. We got 24+ inches of snow this weekend so I was stranded at home and reset it myself only to notice the discolored gasket. This is when I noticed a little door on the lower left bottom of the boiler. Looking through the manual it is called the "Secondary air shutter". The manual does not mention much else about this other than what it is called.

This Secondary Air Shutter billows smoke out when you reset the furnace. I am wondering if this shutter has something to do with the furnace not running like it should, as well as being the culprit to the smell. Is there a gasket inside of it that needs regular maintenance? Would this cause a lack of air to fire the flame if it is clogged? I have not taken it apart as the unit was hot and I did not want to get burned. Figured it would be safer to ask than to disassemble without the proper replacement parts in hand causing burns, a freezing cold home and a screaming wife. haha!

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!!!

KGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 20

Secondary Air Shutter ?

The tech has something else not set up right.
The secondary is allowing smoke out after you push the reset because the combustion chamber has excess oil in it.

If this started happening after teh tech cleaned it. i would call him back and have him go back over his adjustments/settings. So it works proper again(call back, no charge if its something he done).

Don't touch or adjust that secondary air shutter. Or you could soot up your boiler in one run cycle.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
KGP

Rewards Points: 0

Secondary Air Shutter ?

Thanks Been

called another tech rather than doing a call back. Rather pay someone else than have that guy back as all he really did was clean it, not service it/change any setting (that I knew of anyway).
New tech said the adjustments were wrong on the electrodes and that it needed a new pump. Not exactly sure what pump he is referring to as I was not home when he came, his bill just said replace pump (tomorrow) $245

Tonight, wife and baby at at her parents. Ill freeze in the bedroom with a space heater. haha!
KGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 20

Secondary Air Shutter ?

That would be the oil/fuel pump on the burner.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote