Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Second Floor Vent Has No Air Flow

Hello, I am new to this site and also am a first time home owner as of this past May. My wife and I purchased a home that was built in 1907. In the second floor bedroom there is no air flow coming out of the vent in the spare bedroom. The vent seems to run down under the floor. I attempted to run a line down to see if it would go completely down the duct, but ran into difficulty because, as I stated before, the floor seems to run under the floor and not straight down. This is the only vent in the home that does not have flow. There is also a bathroom next to this room that has great air flow and I assume it's part of the same duct. What are my options for figuring out what seems to be blocking the flow of air?

In the basement we have old style vent shutoffs for closing off a specific duct, but all appear to be open by looks and feel when moving them by hand. This room is planned to be a childs bedroom in the future and this is my only hold up for not completing the room as of yet. Any and all help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

somewhatsketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #2

Did this home always have ducts to that bedroom? Was there ever a remodel done?

I think the more likely scenario is that the duct to that room broke loose. (especially if it was flex duct put in as part of a HVAC upgrade)

I'd use a IR sensing thermometer and scan area where you think the duct runs to the bedroom and see if you sense a sudden temp delta. That would indicate the problem area.

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #3

I'm not sure the age of the duct work or if there ever was a remodel. We bought the home as an estate sale from the family of the previous owner that had passed away. So no details were given at all on the disclosure form. The ducts are the rigid metal not a flex variety. I was thinking that maybe there is a mouse nest or something inside as we did see evidence of mice living there, but not currently due to the home being vacant for so long. Can in IR sensing thermometer be rented or is it something one must purchase?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #4

This is probably all you need. Just run the heat or A/C continuously and then scan for a large temp change along the wall, floor or ceiling where you think the duct run is behind.

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-96451.html

Once the thermometer shows a significant temp change then you've narrowed down the problem area.

I had a similar issue. A contractor used flex duct up to a junction box and the flex broke loose because he used ordinary duct tape and didn't support the flex adequately. I found the problem within inches of where it came loose within the inner wall. I was able the repair the flex by cutting only a square foot or so of drywall. I don't know how I could have narrowed it down this precise without this IR thermometer.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hennyh For This Useful Post:
somewhatsketchy (08-09-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #5

Thanx, I will give that a try. I sure do hope that the problem isn't in the wall though, we have walls that are plaster as well as the pre-drywall type of stuff. If the clog is somewhere in there it may be a larger than life task, you know?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #6

If the temp sensor doesn't help, then you may have to call a professional HVAC guy to run a camera down the duck to see if he can find any nests or breaks in the duckwork. I'm betting it is a break.
A close friend of mine complained to me once about the same type of issue in his master bedroom. I simply went into the attic and saw that his flex pipe had separated at a junction point. He felt pretty stupid...since it had been that way for a year and he hadn't thought to look in his attic. His was a very easy fix.
Good luck.
BD
Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
the Musigician

All good suggestions here, but to add another, it COULD be something as simple as some kid thought it was a laundry chute and dumped towels or similar down that section. Just another possibility.... I've seen stranger.... The camera would also tell you if a damper is broken and stuck closed.

DM
Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #8

Thanx for all of your help. I tried the IR Thermometer and it wasn't giving me an indication of a clogg in the duct work. So I went down to the basement and read the duct that I thought was heading up to that room Still no indication of a clogg, the temperature was right where it should be. So then I decided to try and follow the duct as far as I could in the basement, see where it went up, and then troubleshoot from there. I tore out the ceiling and low and behold I found the problem. Apparently the walls had been moved in a renovation ad they expanded the kitchen. Where the duct went up they put a floor. So, instead of redoing the duct work they attempted to seal off the duct with, yes believe it or not, asbestos shingles. So, we carefully removed the shingles and properly sealed the vent off for now. So, I wil end up attaching some flex duct to the bathroom vent and running it to that room seeig as the two vents are less the five feet apart in the crawl space. Again thanx for your help.

Tags
air, duct, flow, hvac