DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

second condensation drain line

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  JJboy 
#1 ·
I have a heat pump in a hous I just bought. It has two drain lines. One drains to the outside of the house and drips water as expected. The second line just comes out of the unit and is not plumbed to outside. This line periodically runs (not drips) and I put a 5 gallon bucket and it fills up half to 3/4 in a day. What is happening? It is hot and humid outside.

Should this line be connected to the other one that goes outside? What is the difference?

#2 ·
Are they close enough in proximity to where they could be joined and routed together? Either both outside or both to a floor drain. Where is the unit located? Not exactlly sure why there are two, is one connected toa drain pan beneath the unit? Anyway you could post a picture of what the setup is?

#3 ·
photo of two drains

The drains are right next to each other. they are above ground level and only one is connected to the drain pipe. it drips like you would expect. The one that is not connected but open runs periodically. When it runs, it really flows. 3 gal per day on hot and humid day.

photo attached

bobby

#6 ·
You can connect them together, but I would re-install the drain with either a clear trap or a larger size pipe. I'm surprised that one runs that hard when the other drips. Perhaps the drain going outside is restricted somewhere. If the drain going outside is working properly the other drain is not needed...in my opinion.

#11 ·
bobby, the lower drain is called the primary drain it should be piped outside, the higher drain is the secondary drain that flows if the primary drain gets clogged for any reason. So there should never be water coming out the higher(secondary) drain line. Pipe the secondary drain to another location as mentioned already and keep an eye on it.

#12 ·
they are both into the condensate pan get a 3/4 slip PVC plug-HD use it only when you clean the pan,with it open like that it is sucking air in.that 3/4 bucket fill up will then go out the trapped line to the left as it should.that open fitting is a high drain point on the pan.tape over that vent line riser pipe and blow out the trapped line from within the pan with a piece of hose and wet paper towel into the line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.