Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

Sears central air conditioning systems

Does anyone know who manufactured Sears Central air conditioner units about 30 years ago? I am purchasing a house that has one installed. The unit is OLD, and the compressor outside looks terrible, but it actually works great. I had it inspected by an HVAC technician, he said it looks a little like an old Carrier, but couldn't really tell (the guy was young about 25 years old, and probably not familiar with equipment this old). The technician said that it was in good condition, but we should eventually look at replacing it due to it's age and the fact that parts probably wouldn't be available for it if it did break.
Attached Images

av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Looks like a Carrier trash can to me or a Westinghouse.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

No matter what brand it is, It's 30 years old, factor a new unit in the purchase price. A new one is light years ahead of that old unit.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by av-geek View Post
Does anyone know who manufactured Sears Central air conditioner units about 30 years ago? I am purchasing a house that has one installed. The unit is OLD, and the compressor outside looks terrible, but it actually works great. I had it inspected by an HVAC technician, he said it looks a little like an old Carrier, but couldn't really tell (the guy was young about 25 years old, and probably not familiar with equipment this old). The technician said that it was in good condition, but we should eventually look at replacing it due to it's age and the fact that parts probably wouldn't be available for it if it did break.
I think carrier supplied sears yrs ago...now they are inner city products..... 30 yrs old...really its been time for a new one ....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
30 year tech

Looks like a old green whirlpool. Haven't seen one of those in a while. They supplied sears back then.
hvac122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #6

parts will be available..... you gota wonder when its time not to sped money on it.... keep furnace filters clean A coil clean and condenser clean and the old girl may run for many years...depending on your location if it runs a lot its not to efficient ....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

That's a Carrier. I know because it's the same as mine, which is almost as old, from 1986.

From a financial perspective, it makes sense to run that baby until it breaks, and then look into a new one. If the compressor goes, you're done anyway, and if the motor in the air handler goes then it's going to be at around $600-800 to fix, all in, and you'll have to weigh that against the cost of a a new unit.

Replacing now just to enjoy improved efficiency does not make financial sense. Say your new unit is 20% more efficient and your AC bill is $150/month for four months a year. That's $120/year that you're saving, against $5,000 give or take to replace.

Wait for it to croak.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Looks like the old 8 SEER carrier.

A 13 SEER would save some money on the cooling bill. How much depends on what temp you like o keep your house at, and your location. In Vermont, wouldn't much of a savings, in North Carolina, it would be a substantial savings.

Just buying the house, you might want to see if the sellers will put/leave something towards replacement. If not, start saving, as it could die the day after you move in, or 5 years from now.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmon View Post
parts will be available..... you gota wonder when its time not to sped money on it.... keep furnace filters clean A coil clean and condenser clean and the old girl may run for many years...depending on your location if it runs a lot its not to efficient ....
On a 90/95 degree day with high humidity you want the unit to run many hours for comfort. To large a unit it will cool down shut off and the house will be cool and clammy.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
On a 90/95 degree day with high humidity you want the unit to run many hours for comfort. To large a unit it will cool down shut off and the house will be cool and clammy.
I agree with that statement...

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote