Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #1

Share |

Sealing attic furnace room

Hello and I apologize if this was discussed previously. We have our second furnace in the attic space that the builder had built a room around for energy efficiency. It's fully insulated with drywall. The high efficiency dual stage furnace has both intake and exhaust going to the outside through the roof.

I am reading that mechanical rooms with water heater needs additional vent to ensure it gets adequate air for combustion. Does this rule apply to me if I don't have water heater in the attic furnace room?

Thanks!

sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #2

You just said the furnace has both intake and exhaust going through the roof and that there's no water heater in there. So, what the problem?

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! Perhaps it's paranoia of reading various posts on this and other forums and my misunderstanding about having adequate combustion air in addition to the air intake from outside.... The room which is sealed with a non louvered door is about 10' x 10' x 7' The BTU of the furnace is 100,000. No other equipment exists. I guess what I am hearing is that I don't need additional vents to let air in from rest of the attic?

This was the article I was reading about having adequate space for combustion which may not apply to me since I have direct vent?

http://staff.jccc.edu/jbennett/curre...ng/COMBUST.htm

Last edited by sbkim; 04-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

You're correct, you don't need combustion air in the room if the furnace is rated as sealed combustion and installed correctly to meet that specification.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

As long as your furnace has its own combustion air intake as you described. The room doesn't require any additional air intake. The link you posted to would apply if your furnace got its combustion air from the room.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
As long as your furnace has its own combustion air intake as you described. The room doesn't require any additional air intake. The link you posted to would apply if your furnace got its combustion air from the room.
Thanks so much! I guess I got confused with set up in my basement which had water heaters that my inspector required vents be installed.