Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Seal Space Between Furnace and Flue Exit?

Quick question: I have a Trane XR80 in the attic, horizontal. Flue pipe comes out of one end of the furnace, goes a few feet to elbow, and up to roof.

Between the furnace and the flue pipe exiting the furnace, there is 1/4" gap all around the opening of the furnace, with a warmth exiting from the furnace. Is this supposed to be left to ventilate the inside of the furnace or something? Or can I seal this with appropriate foil tape, etc.?

I have just found sap around a number of rafters in attic and so besides for the attic ventilation exits, I am trying to seal off any systemic heat leaks in attic (not to mention our natural gas bill!).

Thanks.

99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 284

I would leave it open, The design engineers meant it to be that way and you don't want to lessen any combustion air to the burner. It is AGA approved the way it is, altering it negates the approval.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the FIRST reply . The others, ehhh, lol - particularly since I don't get the jokes .

Is that first response the consensus here? Leave this space unsealed and allow furnace space where flue exits to leak heat?

Thanks.
99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99altrade View Post
Thanks for the FIRST reply . The others, ehhh, lol - particularly since I don't get the jokes .

Is that first response the consensus here? Leave this space unsealed and allow furnace space where flue exits to leak heat?

Thanks.
Yes that advice was from a Pro.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes.

One of the two posting in this thread.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99altrade
Quick question: I have a Trane XR80 in the attic, horizontal. Flue pipe comes out of one end of the furnace, goes a few feet to elbow, and up to roof.

Between the furnace and the flue pipe exiting the furnace, there is 1/4" gap all around the opening of the furnace, with a warmth exiting from the furnace. Is this supposed to be left to ventilate the inside of the furnace or something? Or can I seal this with appropriate foil tape, etc.?

I have just found sap around a number of rafters in attic and so besides for the attic ventilation exits, I am trying to seal off any systemic heat leaks in attic (not to mention our natural gas bill!).

Thanks.
Really post a pict. It may help what your seeing. Just remember for every reaction there is a equal and opposite reaction, could b danger.
Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99altrade

Thanks.
You need to think, if u seal off attic. You need fifty cubic feet per. Thousand btu's for proper combustion. Don't play with that math

Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote